Questions Regarding Samma Samadhi

Discussion of Samatha bhavana and Jhana bhavana.

Re: Questions Regarding Samma Samadhi

Postby SamKR » Sun May 13, 2012 1:28 am

Thanks Rui Sousa for your answers. And the link is useful.
SamKR

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 13, 2012 9:30 am

SamKR wrote:
but like others have said there are differing interpretations of Jhana, and what you were describing (as I was seeing) seamed more like wet Jhana, and dry insight, there is one and the other, and they don't mix fully at least.

My current practice is "dry" vipassana, and currently experiencing constant agitation in mind which would not go away (though trying to "let go" of the desire to get rid of this). So I want to explore the "wet" method too to see if that will help me become more relaxed and tranquil (using suttas as guide).

Hi Sam,
I think the problem with a separation of the two, for some people, is what you describe here, agitation, the dry insight lacks the lubrication of samadhi, so for some people there is an abrasive element to the practice on some level, everything is too course and dusty, things are held to tightly so we can not see it properly, like using a gauntlet to pick up a piece of fine delicate parchment, or turn the pages of a 1000yo manuscript, and the same is true with jhana only, everything is too refined so it can be like trying to keep hold of soap in a bath, you can see it but it is not possible to move it to get a full picture of it. These are forms of Upādāna, grasping, in a wrong way, one can lead to roga the other to dosa, affection & disliking, even if only on a subtle level.

Try dedicating the first portion of each sitting to finding a happy place, a gladdening of the citta, the mind would then be more likely to withdraw from any agitating factors, and be more careful in how it holds objects. like stinging nettles, if just grabbed cause agitation, but if taken hold of correctly can be picked without any sting.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby tiltbillings » Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 am

SamKR wrote:
but like others have said there are differing interpretations of Jhana, and what you were describing (as I was seeing) seamed more like wet Jhana, and dry insight, there is one and the other, and they don't mix fully at least.

My current practice is "dry" vipassana, and currently experiencing constant agitation in mind which would not go away (though trying to "let go" of the desire to get rid of this). So I want to explore the "wet" method too to see if that will help me become more relaxed and tranquil (using suttas as guide).
Trying to let go the desire is probably the problem. Don't worry about it; simply pay attention to the agitation and then to the response to it. Figuratively speaking, of course, step back from it , putting space around it. In letting it be, one's practice can get very "wet," indeed. The division between dry and wet is more apparent than real.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby SamKR » Thu May 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Thank you Cittasanto and tiltbillings for the suggestions.
SamKR

Previous

Return to Samatha Meditation and Jhana