Early Buddhism resources

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
ancientbuddhism

Re: Early Buddhism resources

Post by ancientbuddhism »

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
cooran

Post by cooran »

Ancient Buddhist Texts by Anandajoti

This website has 4 main sections:
-Original Texts and Studies
-Texts and Translations
-Texts in English Only
-Indian Prosody: Texts and Studies

there are also Reference Materials
Maps of Ancient Buddhist India
Audio Readings of Selected Texts

http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
ancientbuddhism

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

The Psychology of Nirvana By Rune E.A. Johansson

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

What The Buddha Thought By Richard Gombrich
Last edited by ancientbuddhism on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Handful of Leaves
dwlurker

Post by dwlurker »

ancientbuddhism wrote:Concept and Reality in Early Buddhist Thought, by Bhikkhu Ñāṇananda
There's a free revised edition (2012) of this book available at http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

concept_and_reality.pdf
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
PTa

Post by PTa »

The Buddhist Forum
The Buddhist Forum was first published by the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London (issues numbered 1 through 5), and by the Institute of Buddhist Studies, Tring, UK (number 6). The series made public research initially presented as part the series of seminars hosted by SOAS between 1987 and 1997, also known as the Buddhist Forum. Over time the issues have run out of print, and become increasingly rare. It is, therefore, with great pleasure that as a result of an agreement between the Institute of Buddhist Studies of Tring, UK, and the Institute of Buddhist Studies, Berkeley, California, USA, that we are here able to present electronic reproductions of the first two issues. The process of conversion will continue until all six issues are available.

Currently available volumes:

Volume I
Introduction
Recovering the Buddha’s Message, by R.F. Gombrich
How the Mahāyāna Began, by R.F. Gombrich
Pāli Philology and the Study of Buddhism, by K.R. Norman
How Buddhist is Theravāda Buddhist Law?, by A. Huxley
Kill the Patriarchs!, by T.H. Barrett
Exploratory Observations on Some Weeping Pilgrims, by T.H. Barrett
Images and Permutations of Vajrasattva in the Vajradhātumaṇḍala., by I. Astley-Kristensen

Volume II
Introduction
Devil’s Valley ot Omega Point: Reflections on the Emergence of a Theme from the Nō, by T.H. Barrett
Buddhism, Taoism and the Rise of the City Gods, by T.H. Barrett
The ‘Five Points’ and the Origins of the Buddhist Schools, by L.S. Cousins
Some Formative Inf1uences in Mahāyāna Buddhist Art, by P.T. Denwood
The rNying-ma Interpretation of Commitment and Vow, by G. Dorje
Saṃvṛti, Vyavahāra and Paramārtha in the Akṣamatinirdeśa and its Commentary by Vasubandhu, by Ch.E. Freeman
Monk, Householder and Priest: What the Three Yānas Mean to Newar Buddhists, by D.N. Gellner
Councils as Ideas and Events in the Theravāda, by C. Hallisey
The Practical Implications of the Doctrine of Buddha-nature, by S. Hookham
Observations on the Tibetan Phur-ba and the Indian Kīla, by R. Mayer
Theravāda Buddhism and Brahmanical Hinduism: Brahmanical Terms in a Buddhist Guise, by K.R. Norman
References

Volume V
A Philological Approach to Buddhism
The Bukkyō Dendō Kyōkai Lectures 1994
by K.R. Norman

http://www.shin-ibs.edu/academics/_forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"No matter how much we may speak in line with what we understand to be right in accordance with the Dhamma, if the citta that is acting isn't right, how can we be right?"
-Ajaan Mahã Boowa
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Buddhism: A Non-Theistic Religion By Helmuth Von Glasenapp 1966

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Anattā: A Different Approach By Sue Hamilton, The Middle Way Vol. 70, No. 1 May 1995 pp. 47 – 60

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

The Sociology of Early Buddhism by Greg Bailey, Ian W. Mabbett.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
ancientbuddhism

Early Buddhist Metaphysics: The Making Of A Philosophical Tradition By Noa Ronkin

An excellent recommendation daverupa had posted here on the The great Abhidhamma Pitaka authenticity debate.

A Handful of Leaves