Feeling hot/hot flashes while meditating

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Feeling hot/hot flashes while meditating

Postby Coyote » Wed May 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Over the past couple of days I have felt hot flashes all over my body, even to the point of sweating, as my mind begins to calm down during meditation. I am in a cool room and not wearing heavy clothing - usually something light. What could be causing this?

Thanks and metta,

Coyote
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Re: Feeling hot/hot flashes while meditating

Postby befriend » Wed May 16, 2012 11:17 pm

sitting zazen can make you sweat.
befriend

Postby Ben » Thu May 17, 2012 1:52 am

Greetings Coyote,
As the mind becomes less agitated and more concentrated, one becomes more aware of what is going on in the mind and body. They're just vedanas rising and falling. It doesn't mean anything. Keep your attention on the primary meditation object and keep going!
All the best,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Thu May 17, 2012 5:22 am

Coyote wrote:Over the past couple of days I have felt hot flashes all over my body, even to the point of sweating, as my mind begins to calm down during meditation. I am in a cool room and not wearing heavy clothing - usually something light. What could be causing this?

Thanks and metta,

Coyote

There are 6 elements.
have a look at the dhatuvibhangha sutta (MN121?)
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Coyote » Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Cittasanto wrote:There are 6 elements.

Hi Cittasanto. I read the sutta you mentioned. Very interesting. I wonder if you could explain - do you think that this is experience of the fire element in the body that I do not usually pay attention to?

Metta,
Coyote
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby Cittasanto » Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 pm

I don't know if you need to understand it more than just the element being predominant?
the four great elements can be understood both through the word used and as a practicable noting as
Earth = solidity
Fire = heat
water = cohesion
wind = movement

what does come to mind is the Buddhas advice to Rahula on the elements
MN 62 Maha-Rahulovada Sutta: The Greater Exhortation to Rahula translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:"And what is the fire property? The fire property may be either internal or external. What is the internal fire property? Anything internal, belonging to oneself, that's fire, fiery, & sustained: that by which [the body] is warmed, aged, & consumed with fever; and that by which what is eaten, drunk, chewed, & savored gets properly digested; or anything else internal, within oneself, that's fire, fiery, & sustained: This is called the internal fire property. Now both the internal fire property & the external fire property are simply fire property. And that should be seen as it actually is present with right discernment: 'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.' When one sees it thus as it actually is present with right discernment, one becomes disenchanted with the fire property and makes the fire property fade from the mind.

and later (which was actually what came to mind)
MN 62 Maha-Rahulovada Sutta: The Greater Exhortation to Rahula translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:"Develop the meditation in tune with fire. For when you are developing the meditation in tune with fire, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind. Just as when fire burns what is clean or unclean — feces, urine, saliva, pus, or blood — it is not horrified, humiliated, or disgusted by it; in the same way, when you are developing the meditation in tune with fire, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind.

Coyote wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Cittasanto wrote:There are 6 elements.

Hi Cittasanto. I read the sutta you mentioned. Very interesting. I wonder if you could explain - do you think that this is experience of the fire element in the body that I do not usually pay attention to?

Metta,
Coyote
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby mikenz66 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Coyote wrote:do you think that this is experience of the fire element in the body that I do not usually pay attention to?

I think, as has has already been said, that, yes, it is partly a matter of discerning things that you were previously not aware of.

Also note that the Pali word dhatu could be translated differently. "Elements" suggests a "thing-ness" --- a body build of little "element-thingies". Thanissaro Bhikkhu uses the translation "properties", which if more "process-oriented" and may be more useful in a meditative context:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... l#sn27.009

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Neinteresnayawe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Nice posts. Keep posting such needed information. Thank's!
Neinteresnayawe

Postby martinfrank » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Coyote wrote:Over the past couple of days I have felt hot flashes all over my body, even to the point of sweating, as my mind begins to calm down during meditation. I am in a cool room and not wearing heavy clothing - usually something light. What could be causing this?

Thanks and metta,

Coyote

The Ven. Sayadaw Sun Lun writes in his Biography:

When the practice is persisted in, the awareness of sensation such as heat or cold come to be noticed, as well as stiffness or pain of sorts. The Yogi should be aware of the particular sensation as it actually arises. A cold sensation should be noticed as cold and be mindful of that awareness of cold. Then when the mind is fully concentrated the cold sensation will disappear simultaneously with the awareness of the cold sensation.

If it is a hot sensation, that hot sensation will disappear simultaneously with the awareness of the hot sensation. The hot sensation does not linger after the cold sensation. Likewise, the cold sensation does not linger after the hot sensation. Each occurrence is quite a separate and distinct event, having a natural feature of its own. These sensations arise in any part of the body. You should not note the particular place on the body where it arises. The sensations arise by their own nature. You simply keep being aware as and when a sensation arises. This awareness coupled with mindfulness is called Sammasana-ñaaNa.

It is normal... just go on...
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
martinfrank

Return to Theravada Meditation