Bodhgaya

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Bodhgaya

Postby cooran » Sat May 19, 2012 6:31 am

Hello all,

Having been to Bodhgaya a few times, I am always struck by the huge crowds of pilgrims everyday, the intensity of the emotions expressed and felt, and the beauty of the Mahabodhi temple complex.

Reading the suttas, I cannot see any reference to the Buddha returning there during the rest of his life after enlightenment.

He spent many Rains Retreats in other places, and there are important suttas associated with them - but there seems to be no further return to Bodhgaya.

Does anyone have any references showing that he did? And, if he didn't, why not?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Re: Bodhgaya

Postby Cittasanto » Sat May 19, 2012 11:03 am

Hi Cooran,
I don't think there are, but he may of, it may not of been recorded as there is a convention noted in the mula-sarvastivada vinaya which allows the substitution of the location name if one can not remember the exact one, this convention can be seen in other traditions texts with the overall tendency to keep to certain places, people, etc. so maybe why it isn't mentioned again (or not often if someone knows of a reference).
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 19, 2012 3:35 pm

cooran wrote:Having been to Bodhgaya a few times, I am always struck by the huge crowds of pilgrims everyday, the intensity of the emotions expressed and felt, and the beauty of the Mahabodhi temple complex.

Hi Chris,
As you know, I feel the same way too.

Reading the suttas, I cannot see any reference to the Buddha returning there during the rest of his life after enlightenment.
He spent many Rains Retreats in other places, and there are important suttas associated with them - but there seems to be no further return to Bodhgaya.
Does anyone have any references showing that he did? And, if he didn't, why not?

Possibly this quote:

"Bhikkhus, I wish to go into seclusion for three months. I should not be approached by anyone.
The when those three months had passed, the Blessed One emerged from seclusion and
addressed the bhikkhus thus:
Bhikkhus, I have been dwelling in part of the abode in which I dwelt just after I became fully
enlightened.
"
Samyutta Nikaya 45.12

The value of pilgrimage:

"Ananda, there are four places the sight of which will arouse strong emotion in those with faith.
Which four? Here the Tathagata (enlightened one) was born, this is the first place. Here the
Tathagata attained Enlightenment, this is the second place. Here the Tathagata set in motion the
Wheel of the Dhamma, this is the third place. Here the Tathagata attained final Nibbana without
remainder, this is the fourth place. The monk or nun, layman or laywoman, who has faith should
visit these places. And anyone who dies while making a pilgrimage to these places with a devout
heart will, at the breaking up of the body, be reborn in heaven."

Digha Nikaya 16

The importance of Bodh Gaya is of course evident, but he did seem to spend most of his time around Vulture Peak and Shravasti.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Sat May 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Thank you Cittasanto and David! :group:

Very much appreciated.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Return to General Theravāda discussion