What music are you listening to right now?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
SDC

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by SDC »

I try never to do 2 in a row, but I had to share this one.

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SDC

Post by SDC »

As a child, I never noticed anything special about the following song. Now I think it is perhaps the best thing they ever wrote.

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

SDC wrote:Their best song IMO.

If I might share a story about this song...

My cousin Ed and I were volunteers in Washington, DC in 2006 when the Dalai Lama was in town to receive the US Congressional Medal of Honor. The Pray for Peace Concert was held at the Washington National Cathedral the same week to coincide with that event. On the bill were Jackson Brown, Krishna Das, the Tibetan monks from Namgyal (the Dalai Lama's home monastery) doing chant, Graham Nash and David Crosby, and others. Part of our job was to shuttle the monks around town to different events. The afternoon before the concert, the Cathedral was closed to the public for the sound check. Ed and I were waiting for the monks to come back from lunch; the doors were locked; we were the only two people in that massive building, other than Crosby and Nash and the music techs. Of course, they were doing Guinnevere. The absolute splendor of those two perfectly harmonized voices soared through the huge space, filling it. The afternoon light streamed through the stained glass rose window; the whole was infused with multicolored lights. It was so special, one of those totally unexpected moments of mind blowing, breath stopping beauty which life spreads before us so rarely; they are such a gift. "We shall be free...."
Two years later Ed committed suicide; this song is our perfect moment.
Miss you, Eddie.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Sorry for your loss, Justsit. Thanks for sharing that though.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Thanks, SDC. I hadn't heard the song in a long time, thanks for posting.

BTW - see you're in NJ. What exit? :tongue:
SDC

Post by SDC »

Justsit wrote:Thanks, SDC. I hadn't heard the song in a long time, thanks for posting.

BTW - see you're in NJ. What exit? :tongue:
The one in Morris County. :tongue:

You too?
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Used to live in Basking Ridge years ago, before 287 was built.
My brother used to work at the hospital in Morristown, my sister is still in Flemington. I'm in Delaware.
Seems like most of the good Dharma talks are up north, I spend a lot of time going up and down NJTP.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Justsit wrote:Used to live in Basking Ridge years ago, before 287 was built.
My brother used to work at the hospital in Morristown, my sister is still in Flemington. I'm in Delaware.
Seems like most of the good Dharma talks are up north, I spend a lot of time going up and down NJTP.
I have some family down in Basking Ridge. Nice area.
dhamma_newb

Post by dhamma_newb »

Full version: http://soundcloud.com/mabudala/maneesh-de-moor-bliss
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Thank-you. Joanna Newsom is awesome :smile: I was lucky enough to see her perform a couple of years ago in Manchester. There are lots of lovely, talented female singer- songwriters around at the moment. Laura Veirs is another such..

:anjali:
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

Thanks, very nice song. Try this:

the wheel is turning.
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Lovely. I did know of this lady. Here's Lithuania's answer to Tori Amos, perhaps. She writes attractive melodies and has a sweet voice. I have no idea of what she sings though :smile:

:anjali:
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

I'm a huge Tori Amos fan.

Wow, I love that, thanks.

the wheel is turning.
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Cool. :smile:
Ms. Marling often reminds me of Joni M (no bad thing!), but she has a freshness and vitality all her own too.

:anjali: ]