YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The Mahamevnawa tradition - Dhamma Wheel

The Mahamevnawa tradition

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Maitri

The Mahamevnawa tradition

Postby Maitri » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:59 am

Hello,

There is a tradition called the Mahamevnawa lineage from Sri Lanka that has become active in my area recently. I tried to look up some more information about them, but their main page is in Sinhalese. Does any have personal experience with or currently practice in this tradition? They seem very earnest in their application of Dhamma.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

tiltbillings

Re: The Mahamevnawa tradition

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:53 am

theravadin

Postby theravadin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Dear Dhamma friends,

If you have any question regarding Mahamevnawa, feel free to ask. I am working as a volunteer for their Florida branch.

metta!

Maitri

Postby Maitri » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:36 pm

theravadin,

Thanks for your response. I was just curious to know what you feel sets The Mahamevnawa tradition apart from general Sri Lanka Buddhism. I have read about the founder of the tradition. It appears that The Mahamevnawa tradition is not so Sri Lankan focused but uses the suttas as a basis for everything. I'd like to hear your experience, if you care to share.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

theravadin

Postby theravadin » Tue May 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Dear maitri,
sorry for the long absence. Your question is a very good one. Below is a link which discusses the relationship of Sri Lankan Buddhism in general and what sets Mahamevnawa apart. I hope it will help:

Let me know if you have any other question.

with metta!

Travis

Postby Travis » Tue May 22, 2012 3:30 pm

:goodpost:

Welcome Theravadin! I've been a big fan of your blog for some time. It's good to see you on Dhamma Wheel. I look forward to reading what you have to say in the future :twothumbsup:

-Travis

theravadin

Postby theravadin » Wed May 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks Travis, that's very kind! I am really glad if it inspired your ;-)

Maitri

Postby Maitri » Mon May 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Theravadin,

Thank you so much! This is what I was looking for about the tradition.

Maitri

Postby Maitri » Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 29, 2012 1:04 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:32 am

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

theravadin

Postby theravadin » Wed May 30, 2012 8:19 pm

MahamevnawaFlorida

Postby MahamevnawaFlorida » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Bhante,

Thank you for posting and for making yourself available to our members. Do you know if there are any branch monasteries closer to NYC than the Edison NJ branch?
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

MahamevnawaFlorida

Postby MahamevnawaFlorida » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Namo Buddhaya!

Hi Khalil Bodhi,

We do not have a branch in NYC. We have only four branches in US. 1.Edition New jersey. 2 Torrance, California 3. Tampa, Florida. 4. Washington DC.
But we would like to conduct an English Meditation program in NYC.

http://mahamevnawanj.org/
http://www.mahamevnawa.us
http://mahamevnawawashingtondc.org/
http://mahamevnawaflorida.org/

with Metta

Bhante
Mahamevnawa Meditation Monastery Florida

Kumara

Postby Kumara » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:44 am

I'm interested in this relatively new tradition. How's the Vinaya like? Do the monks accept money?
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

Maitri

Postby Maitri » Fri May 01, 2015 3:53 am

rajithanuwank

Postby rajithanuwank » Tue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Mahamewnawa monks do not accept money. Therawada Buddhism has changed a lot from the original teachings of the Buddha due to various reasons. And in mahamewnawa monks try to practice Buddhism exactly as mentioned by Buddha, which will gain the freedom from sufferings.

http://mahamevnawa.lk/inenglish/

with metta...

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Tue May 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Nice imagery.

dhammarelax

Postby dhammarelax » Tue May 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”