Meditation is like... (put your similie here)

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
tiltbillings

Re: Meditation is like... (put your similie here)

Post by tiltbillings »

Meditation is like . . . .

Trungpa once said that meditation is like a laxative.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

tiltbillings wrote:Meditation is like . . . .

No shit?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Goofaholix wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Meditation is like . . . .

No shit?
So it would seem. Enlightenment would be like a clean colon.

There is the Hatha Yoga axiom: "If your colon is right, your mind is right." And that is the straight poop on that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
David2

Post by David2 »

Meditation is like... mediation between yourself and reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SDC

Post by SDC »

Meditation is like untangling Christmas lights.

For those that have had the pleasure.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

[Sitting] meditation is like a concert pianist practicing scales.
The 'performance' is life.

(I think it might have been Shinzen Young who used this analogy first)
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Meditation is like going into a cocoon to transform self identities into thin air.

About two years ago I went through a phase where I felt like I was mourning my own death. Shortly afterwards, I thought of meditation as returning to the womb, waiting to be reborn, and eventually (hopefully) realizing there is no more birth.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Just thought of this:

Meditation is like digging a well. You have to remove the dirt and break up the stones before it will fill with water.
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Meditation is like this:

Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings David,
David N. Snyder wrote:[Sitting] meditation is like a concert pianist practicing scales.
The 'performance' is life.

(I think it might have been Shinzen Young who used this analogy first)
It's a good one... and it's a reminder of what the purpose of the meditation is in the first place, and where its benefits will come to fruition.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

The sea gathering waves.
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Apologies for butchering a Magnetic Fields song...
Meditation is like a violent crime
If you do it wrong - you'll do time,
But if you do it right it is sublime
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
zavk

Post by zavk »

To borrow the writings of a French philosopher, for me meditation "unfolds in the pureness of the wait. Waiting is directed at nothing: any object that could gratify it would only efface it. Still, it is not confined to one place, it is not a resigned immobility; it has the endurance of a movement that will never end and would never promise itself the reward of rest; it does not wrap itself in interiority; all of it falls irremediably outside. Waiting cannot wait for itself at the end of its own past, nor rejoice in its own practice, nor steel itself once and for all, for it was never lacking courage. What takes it up is not memory but forgetting. This forgetting… is extreme attentiveness."

:anjali:
With metta,
zavk
Chi

Post by Chi »

Meditation is like purposely putting myself in fire so 'I' burn faster.
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Meditation is life.

Meditation can get up off the cushion, can open its eyes, and can travel with you constantly. But remembering to meditate is a skill that must be learned through vigorous intention, attention, and never giving up. Anything, you do daily, can become a meditation.

In this way, everything in your life is there to help you, to teach you, and not seen as some kind of an obstruction to meditation…even ‘the terrible routine violence of jail meditation’ can remind you of calming breath. Perhaps even ‘fighting for your life meditation’ can work to strengthen your resolve to be free.

The Buddha's final admonition to his disciples on his death bed is this: "Transient are all component things. Work out your deliverance with heedfulness!" (vaya-dhamma sankhara, appamadena sampadetha). And the last words of the Venerable Sariputta, the foremost disciple of the Buddha, who predeceased the Master, were this: "Strive on with Heedfulness! This is my advice to you!" (sampadetha appamadena, esa me anusasana).

In both these injunctions the most significant and pregnant word is appamada, which literally means incessant heedfulness. Man cannot be heedful unless he is aware of his actions — whether they are mental, verbal, or physical — at every moment of his waking life. Only when a man is fully awake to and mindful of his activities can he distinguish good from bad and right from wrong. It is in the light of mindfulness that he will see the beauty or the ugliness of his deeds.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.