Early Buddhism resources

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
ancientbuddhism

Re: Early Buddhism resources

Post by ancientbuddhism »

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Early Buddhism and the Urban Revolution, by Balkrishna Govind Gokhale
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

The Literature of the Pudgalavādins, by Thích Thién Châu

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

The Oral Transmission of Early Buddhist Literature, by Alexander Wynne

Abstract:
  • “Two theories have been proposed to explain the oral transmission of early Buddhist literature. Some scholars have argued that the early literature was not rigidly fixed because it was improvised in recitation, whereas others have claimed that word for word accuracy was required when it was recited. This paper examines these different theories and shows that the internal evidence of the Pāli canon supports the theory of a relatively fixed oral transmission of the early Buddhist literature.”
Edit: Public access to this document is now available without subscription at The Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies linked above.
Last edited by ancientbuddhism on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
RMSmith

Post by RMSmith »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves