Modern Theravada, not Western Theravada

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

Modern Theravada, not Western Theravada

Post by DNS »

In another thread there is a discussion about the translation of a Pali passage in a signature line. This led me to take another look at the great link in tilt's signature line:

http://web.archive.org/web/200502151352 ... ysp962.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears to be a very old web page, but still great!

I love the section on, "ETHNOSANGHA OVERSIGHT" which is defined as:

ETHNOSANGHA OVERSIGHT: The exclusion of ethnic Buddhist groups (nonwhites in this case) when referring to Western Buddhism.

There are so many groups and teachers that sometimes refer to modern-day Buddhism as "Western Buddhism" or "Western Zen" or perhaps "Western Theravada."

I am sure no harm was meant or intended, but it does seem to suggest an "ethnosangha oversight." That is why I think the term, "Modern Theravada" is much better. It does not refer to any cultural or ethnic group and in fact many Asians also espouse the same views of what might be called Modern Theravada.
retrofuturist

Re: Modern Theravada, not Western Theravada

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings David,

Yes, I think Modern Theravada is a much better term than Western Theravada, although I'm comfortable with the concept of a Western Buddhism as a form of Buddhism that may evolve over time as one that forms against the backdrop of (predominantly Abrahamic) Western society.

However, the things that appeal to Westerners about Buddhism (e.g. the clear demonstration of cause and effect, the invitation to come and see, the lack of blind faith) are precisely the things that are appealing to the younger generations in Asia. No one anywhere is immune to scientific revolution, and the masses will no longer be prepared to follow a religious tradition simply because their parents and grandparents did.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote: However, the things that appeal to Westerners about Buddhism (e.g. the clear demonstration of cause and effect, the invitation to come and see, the lack of blind faith) are precisely the things that are appealing to the younger generations in Asia. No one anywhere is immune to scientific revolution, and the masses will no longer be prepared to follow a religious tradition simply because their parents and grandparents did.
Hi retro,

Yes, I know what you mean. Once I was at a poya, full moon celebration at a traditional Sri Lankan vihara and a young Sri Lankan man asked me if I liked all of the ritual and ceremony or just the meditation. I did not want to offend him, so mentioned that it is all good to which he responded, "I don't like all of the ceremonies and rituals, I would prefer if we just meditated."

I like the community support of course, but since I don't know Singhalese language, the ceremonies were a little tedious to follow for me so I thought he may have been just testing me for my reaction, but was surprised (at that time) to see he also has the same appeal to the things many of us do. I was shocked to hear that response from him, since he did not come to the regular meditation programs, but maybe it was just from lack of knowledge about the meetings and that so many of us "convert Buddhists" like the bhavana practice.

On another occasion, a Sri Lankan woman came to the meditation meeting and saw all of the non-Asian faces and said, "I never knew that Buddhism was this popular among the Americans" (American-born).
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I just found an article in a newspaper (online) that discusses some of the issues here, with Buddhism in modern times:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... 10388/1008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a link to a video at that site.
sherubtse

Post by sherubtse »

TheDhamma wrote: Hi retro,

Yes, I know what you mean. Once I was at a poya, full moon celebration at a traditional Sri Lankan vihara and a young Sri Lankan man asked me if I liked all of the ritual and ceremony or just the meditation. I did not want to offend him, so mentioned that it is all good to which he responded, "I don't like all of the ceremonies and rituals, I would prefer if we just meditated."
Perhaps I'm the odd man out here, but I quite like the ceremonial aspect of Theravada. It is a wonderful experience to be reminded, for example, of the qualities of the Buddha, Dhamma & Sangha. Just meditation? Gosh no! I look at Buddhism as a whole religious package, wherein all the parts fit together in order to lead one to Nibbana.

With metta,
Sherubtse
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Western Theravada for me at least implies the monastic and lay interaction in the west, and how it is or has developed so far.
Modern Theravada for me implies the developments in ideas which may not balance 100% with the more traditional ideas before full contact with the west happened.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

sherubtse wrote: Perhaps I'm the odd man out here, but I quite like the ceremonial aspect of Theravada. It is a wonderful experience to be reminded, for example, of the qualities of the Buddha, Dhamma & Sangha. Just meditation? Gosh no! I look at Buddhism as a whole religious package, wherein all the parts fit together in order to lead one to Nibbana.
Hi Sherubtse,

I agree, it is a whole package; but I guess I have a preference of certain practices over others. I think Buddhism allows for different temperaments to focus on different aspects, though. For me, it is:

1. bhavana, sila, dana
2. sutta study,
3. kalyana mitta ( includes Dhamma Wheel ! )
4. ceremonies

In the above order, but understand that for others, the "ranking" if any, may be different.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

TheDhamma wrote: 1. bhavana, sila, dana
2. sutta study,
3. kalyana mitta ( includes Dhamma Wheel ! )
4. ceremonies
My sentiments also, I am not big on cerimonies, although do partake on the apropriate times, although I am not big on showing respect to someone who thinks lay people have their uses and openly says it.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i came to theravada from zen under a monk that was meditation 1st, study 2nd and ceremony only if you have to
then i came to thai theravada
at first i was into the thai stuff but after awhile it has started to seem like all thai buddhism is is ceremony, meditation here and there (if at all)and not really any study at all. the only major exceptions to this rule seem to be western monks. i spent years planning and getting things in order to ordain but last year that all changed, and now as a lay person who will probably always be a lay person, i'm struggling. i know i dont want my role as a buddhist to simply be a food delivery boy but in traditional thai buddhism that seems to be all thats offered to me.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Hoo

Post by Hoo »

jcsuperstar wrote:i came to theravada from zen under a monk that was meditation 1st, study 2nd and ceremony only if you have to
at first i was into the thai stuff but after awhile it has started to seem like all thai buddhism is is ceremony, meditation here and there (if at all)and not really any study at all. the only major exceptions to this rule seem to be western monks. i spent years planning and getting things in order to ordain but last year that all changed, and now as a lay person who will probably always be a lay person, i'm struggling. i know i dont want my role as a buddhist to simply be a food delivery boy but in traditional thai buddhism that seems to be all thats offered to me.
JC, did you find that true of the Forrest Tradition, too? I've just begun to read some of Ajahn Chah (Being Dharma) and am curious what you might have discovered.

Steve
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

most famous western monks come from lp chah. as far as i can tell and as far as i'm concerned he, and they, are all pretty stand up guys and great monks.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

jcsuperstar wrote:i came to theravada from zen under a monk that was meditation 1st, study 2nd and ceremony only if you have to
I empathize with you jc...it (Thai Theravada) appears much the same to me...I hope your struggles lessen...press on... :smile:
Ordinaryperson

Post by Ordinaryperson »

jcsuperstar wrote:most famous western monks come from lp chah. as far as i can tell and as far as i'm concerned he, and they, are all pretty stand up guys and great monks.
There are also many monks in Thailand that may not be well known to the Western world but as good if not better the problem is finding them and establishing the first contact as they do only speak Thai.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
~ Greed is the greatest danger of them all ~
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Here is a relavant blog entry from a Western monk who finally gave up trying to fit into a Wat Thai due to the ethnic and power issues involved:

Apology of Yuttadhammes

Jun 23rd, 2009 by yuttadhammo

I am not staying at a Wat Thai this rains retreat. ANY Wat Thai. And I’m not going to apologize for that. I’d like to take a little time to explain why I’ve come to this decision, as most people are unable to understand why I would come to such a strange decision. Strange to them, of course, for it seems perfectly reasonable to me, having been ordained as a Thai monk and lived with Thai monks for the past 7 years.

First, the misunderstanding stems mainly from a misunderstanding of what a monk should be. I admit, I am not a perfect model of what a monk should be, but I think I keep at least a modest level of monastic discipline, including a healthy respect and adherence to the rules of the monastic life and a healthy distancing of oneself from societies of all sorts.

Secondly, I think we generally don’t take enough time to appreciate what is meant by “Wat Thai” or “Wat Khmer” or “Wat Laos”, etc. I think if we did, we would realize it is really a funny thing, considering the Buddha was of Nepalese decent. No, what these places really are is a place for displaced immigrants to return, even briefly, to the society from which they were displaced. (...)

http://yuttadhammo.sirimangalo.org/post ... tadhammes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Bhante.

The terms 'Western Theravada', and 'Western Buddhism' are just curious novelties to me. My focus is very much bhavana (meditation), sila, dana and pariyatti. The tradition in which I have continued to practice within is very light on the ceremony and has very little of the cultural acretions normally associated with Buddhism.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..