How many times to meditate a day?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Buddha

How many times to meditate a day?

Post by Buddha »

I meditate for now one time a day,and this is before i go to sleep,how many times is it good to meditate and when,in the morning, afternoon,... :buddha1:
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without
bodom

Re: How many times to meditate a day?

Post by bodom »

Buddha wrote:I meditate for now one time a day,and this is before i go to sleep,how many times is it good to meditate and when,in the morning, afternoon,... :buddha1:
Hi Buddha

See the following short chapter entitled Structuring Your Meditation from Bhante G's Mindfulness In Plain English :

Structuring Your Meditation
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

bodom wrote:
Buddha wrote:I meditate for now one time a day,and this is before i go to sleep,how many times is it good to meditate and when,in the morning, afternoon,... :buddha1:
Hi Buddha

See the following short chapter entitled Structuring Your Meditation from Bhante G's Mindfulness In Plain English :

Structuring Your Meditation
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Ideally, just One session, from the moment you awaken in the morning to the moment you fall asleep at night.
Bagoba

Post by Bagoba »

Alex123 wrote:
Ideally, just One session, from the moment you awaken in the morning to the moment you fall asleep at night.
:bow:
"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless." http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Make every moment apart of meditation, you don't need to be sitting, however you do need to be mindful, apply effort, and upholding right view!
this is bhavana! particularly the sections in the satipatthana sutta of clear knowing, four postures, and mindfulness of breathing. however, the full sections of feelings, mind, and dhamma are also applicable and practicable.
use sitting meditation to refresh, a mental spring clean and focus on eliminating the hindrences that have been predominant that day by cultivating skilful mind-states.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
nobody12345

Post by nobody12345 »

Alex123 wrote:
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

imaginos wrote:
Alex123 wrote:
Neinteresnayawe

Post by Neinteresnayawe »

Thank you for posting this information!)