Do we create karma every second

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Guy

Re: Do we create karma every second

Post by Guy »

Individual wrote:Guy, let's say that you're driving and you unintentionally pull out in front of oncoming traffic, would that be a karmic action?

...As another example, let's say you're boiling some spaghetti, a droplet of water hits your arm. As a reflex, out of pain, you jerk back your arm, which then hits the cooking pan's handle, which catapults scalding water onto your face. Would this be a karmic action?

...Or let's say that you're a smoker in the 1920's and don't intend to get cancer. Would such smoking be karmic action and would lung cancer be vipaka?

It is important to remember that "intention" did not begin with this life, but the wheel of rebirth itself is supported by intention.
I don't think everything is because of kamma, or is creating new kamma. Sometimes random events effect our lives, sometimes in a big way either positively or negatively, are you suggesting that these seemingly random events are not really random at all?
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Stefan,
Stefan wrote:So there are moments where I make new karma and during all the other moments I experience vipaka. I.e., there is no moment without one of these occuring?
Well, actually there are, because not every ethically significant (i.e. wholesome or unwholesome) mental process will be adequate to generate a kamma. For example, in the case of unwholesome mental processes, if they are of too brief a duration or too weak an intensity to bring about any of the akusala kammapaṭha (killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, false speech, divisive speech, harsh speech, frivolous speeech, covetousness, ill will, or wrong view), then they won't create any unwholesome kamma.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Thank you Bhante. :anjali:
Fede

Post by Fede »

Individual wrote:Guy, let's say that you're driving and you unintentionally pull out in front of oncoming traffic, would that be a karmic action?
These are all simply my opinions...ok?
I'm only guessing here, but there is some Kamma involved, because you were not mindful and observant, and your intention was to pull out - which could lead to negative consequences.... so I think there is some negative kamma generated, but not a vast amount....
...As another example, let's say you're boiling some spaghetti, a droplet of water hits your arm. As a reflex, out of pain, you jerk back your arm, which then hits the cooking pan's handle, which catapults scalding water onto your face. Would this be a karmic action?
No, I personally don't think so.
I think you should remember to point the handle inwards though. Any chef will tell you that's common sense.
But if it is a kammic consequence - who could tell? Some may say it was, but I think you just need to get that burn seen to.

And thank the nurse for her patience and gentleness....That can't be a bad thing.....
...Or let's say that you're a smoker in the 1920's and don't intend to get cancer. Would such smoking be karmic action and would lung cancer be vipaka?
No. Cancer would be a consequence of you being an idiot and smoking in the first place. Yech!
However, some people smoke, and don't get cancer.
Other people don't smoke, and DO get cancer.
Again, it's possibly a Kammic consequence, but hypothesis and theorising aren't skillful pastimes....
It is important to remember that "intention" did not begin with this life, but the wheel of rebirth itself is supported by intention.
And all of the above were 'unintentional' so what's your point? That you can stop the wheel 'turning'.....? :quote: :shock:

(I've been dying to use that 'quote' emoticon....! :clap: )
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sindre

Post by Sindre »

Hi Bhante,
Dhammanando wrote:
Stefan wrote:So there are moments where I make new karma and during all the other moments I experience vipaka. I.e., there is no moment without one of these occuring?
Well, actually there are, because not every ethically significant (i.e. wholesome or unwholesome) mental process will be adequate to generate a kamma. For example, in the case of unwholesome mental processes, if they are of too brief a duration or too weak an intensity to bring about any of the akusala kammapaṭha (killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, false speech, divisive speech, harsh speech, frivolous speeech, covetousness, ill will, or wrong view), then they won't create any unwholesome kamma.
Could we say that since we ar not producing wholesome kamma at these times, that this is an unwholesome result of kamma?
"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
Dhammanando wrote:Well, actually there are, because not every ethically significant (i.e. wholesome or unwholesome) mental process will be adequate to generate a kamma. For example, in the case of unwholesome mental processes, if they are of too brief a duration or too weak an intensity to bring about any of the akusala kammapaṭha (killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, false speech, divisive speech, harsh speech, frivolous speeech, covetousness, ill will, or wrong view), then they won't create any unwholesome kamma.
I thought that kamma not only included the mental, but in fact "was" the mental, with the associated rupa movements being amoral, and indicative only of the fact the mental volition was strong enough to prompt the movement by way of body or speech. I realise its different in the context of precept violations where there's a checklist of intentions, rupa-movements and worldly results required to constitute a precept violation... but that kamma in the strict sense is a slightly different matter. An example that comes to mind is someone begrudgingly giving dana out of obligation rather than from wholesome intention.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."