Forest Monks in Germany

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Forest Monks in Germany

Postby hanzze_ » Tue May 29, 2012 3:43 pm

A documentation about the daily life of Buddhist Monks in the traditional christian countryside of German.
Forest monastery Muttodaya

(even it is in German language, it might be give some expression for those who don't speak the language - also very touching are the people who, even they have no idea of Buddhism, love their (!) monastery and support those Monks)

Published on: theravada-dhamma.org (which has also an English and many other language sections)
hanzze_

Re: Forest Monks in Germany

Postby reflection » Tue May 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Danke! :anjali: :anjali:
reflection

Postby reflection » Tue May 29, 2012 6:53 pm

By the way, I really love documentaries about monks in daily life. If anyone knows some more, I would really like that. :)

(preferably not in any language that I find even more difficult than German :tongue: )
reflection

Postby daverupa » Tue May 29, 2012 7:41 pm

reflection wrote:By the way, I really love documentaries about monks in daily life. If anyone knows some more, I would really like that. :)

Into Great Silence is one of the better ones, and it depicts Carthusian monks over about six months at the Grande Chartreuse in France. The original German title is Die Große Stille, by Philip Gröning.

reflection wrote:(preferably not in any language that I find even more difficult than German :tongue: )

As it happens, he commented that he preferred the English title because he could do the "into" construction, something which didn't come across quite the same in a German rendering.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby David2 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Very nice! Danke Hanzze! :thumbsup:
David2

Postby Birgit » Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Very intresting, the relationship between the monks and their surroundings! :namaste:
Thank you!
You, just as you are, can meet life on its own terms, taking delight in that which is enjoyable without clinging to it while also living with what is difficult and unpleasant without contracting into resistance to it. To dance with life is to meet life on its terms to be at ease, even enjoy the ever-changing interplay without clinging. Philip Moffit: Dancing with Life page 91/92
Birgit

Postby reflection » Tue May 29, 2012 9:34 pm

daverupa wrote:
reflection wrote:By the way, I really love documentaries about monks in daily life. If anyone knows some more, I would really like that. :)

Into Great Silence is one of the better ones, and it depicts Carthusian monks over about six months at the Grande Chartreuse in France. The original German title is Die Große Stille, by Philip Gröning.

reflection wrote:(preferably not in any language that I find even more difficult than German :tongue: )

As it happens, he commented that he preferred the English title because he could do the "into" construction, something which didn't come across quite the same in a German rendering.

Thanks. I've heard about this one before, but so far haven't found it anywhere.

This one is interesting as well:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/one-day- ... monastery/

:anjali:
reflection

Return to Dhammic Stories