Hi from a fellow traveler in samsara

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Aware

Hi from a fellow traveler in samsara

Post by Aware »

Hi everyone :D

I'm a little ashamed I've been lurking around here for more than a year without ever posting. I just saw Paribbajaka's introduction, who's also been looking around for a year before posting, and I thought it was high time I did the same.

My name is Katleen, I'm from Belgium, and my username, Aware, is a Japanese word which could be translated as 'awareness of impermanence' or 'appreciation for the fleeting beauty of things'. Most people will probably read it as the English word 'aware', which makes sense too, of course. I used the same username in the old days at E-Sangha (where I didn't post often either, it's in my character, I guess :embarassed: ) I will try to contribute here every now and then, though I'll never be a real chatterbox.

I've been practising Theravada-buddhism for 8 years now (with 2 brief trips into Zen).

Since 6 years I've been having a very stubborn sleeping disorder which seems to defy all treatment. I used to be a translator; a couple of years ago I got a teaching certificate because I wanted to teach French in high school. But managing classes full of teenagers when you can hardly ever sleep normally is pretty tough. So after a few temporary teaching jobs I'm at home now, unsure what to do next.

There's been a period when I stopped meditating while working long days in serious fatigue, but after that I promised myself I would always keep practising no matter how busy or ill I might become in future :meditate: So here I am back at it. I'm really thankful for this place, where I've found lots of good advice, interesting links etc... and the general encouragement of knowing there are so many more people out there making the same sort of effort! It helps keep me motivated :thanks:

With much metta,

Katleen
We must cultivate our practice. What this means is that whether you are happy or unhappy you must practice just the same. If you are feeling well you should practice, and if you are feeling sick you should also practice. (...) If things are to go wrong, just let them be with the body, not in mind. - Ajahn Chah, in ‘Food for the Heart’
mikenz66

Re: Hi from a fellow traveler in samsara

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome Katleen,

:hello:

:anjali:
Mike
jason c

Post by jason c »

welcome kathleen,
when i have difficulty sleeping, i lie on my back perfectly still and practice body scanning. i bring my attention to different parts of my body trying to feel my natural energy. this seems to be a very good substitute for sleep, it allows my body to rest after working hard all day and it gives my mind something to do instead of stressing over not sleeping.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Katleen!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome Kathleen! I admire your determination and wish you every success!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Welcome Katleen! :smile:
manas

Post by manas »

Hi katleen,

I find your determination to practise inspiring. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to Dhamma Wheel. :smile:

There are all kinds of people here, really. Some talk alot, some talk a little, and some hardly at all...no problem, it's all completely up to the individual. 8-)

manas :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Aware

Post by Aware »

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate :smile:
jason c wrote:welcome kathleen,
when i have difficulty sleeping, i lie on my back perfectly still and practice body scanning. i bring my attention to different parts of my body trying to feel my natural energy. this seems to be a very good substitute for sleep, it allows my body to rest after working hard all day and it gives my mind something to do instead of stressing over not sleeping.
Yes, that's a good method. I used to do this when I was lying awake worrying about my sleeping problem :smile: But these days I hardly ever lie awake, that I know of; something is wrong during sleep. I've had an overnight sleep test in hospital and it showed I have a lot of hypopneas. That means my breathing almost stops, about every 2 minutes. During the test I woke up briefly (without my knowing it) about 200 times that night!

I'm not sure how I got that problem, nor if hypopnea is the main problem or a side effect of another problem. I have to change my medication for the umpteenth time tonight, but I'm not expecting much of it. It's out of my control. I prefer to concentrate on the things I do have some control over, like not getting lost in thoughts and emotions...

Anyway, I'm really glad this forum exists. I'll 'see' you guys around :smile:
We must cultivate our practice. What this means is that whether you are happy or unhappy you must practice just the same. If you are feeling well you should practice, and if you are feeling sick you should also practice. (...) If things are to go wrong, just let them be with the body, not in mind. - Ajahn Chah, in ‘Food for the Heart’