Pali Resources

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
manas

Re: Pali Resources

Post by manas »

Hi everyone, I have a question...why is it that if I copy and paste pali from an online source, to either this site, or to a Word document, that the 'n's and 'm's (the ones with dots either over or under them, that is) are enlarged somewhat...? In fact, when I paste it to Word it gets even more distorted than the example below:

Ekāyano ayaṃ bhikkhave maggo sattānaṃ visuddhiyā sokapariddavānaṃ samatikkamāya dukkhadomanassānaṃ atthaṅgamāya ñāyassa adhigamāya nibbānassa sacchikiriyāya, yadidaṃ cattāro satipaṭṭhānā.

In short, how can I get the pali to stay the same, with no distortion at all?
Thanking you in advance,

manasikara.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ekāyano ayaṃ bhikkhave maggo sattānaṃ visuddhiyā sokapariddavānaṃ samatikkamāya dukkhadomanassānaṃ atthaṅgamāya ñāyassa adhigamāya nibbānassa sacchikiriyāya, yadidaṃ cattāro satipaṭṭhānā.Change the font size to match the letters in question.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Actually, Ven Pesala maybe able to give you far better advice than mine.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
manas

Post by manas »

tiltbillings wrote:Ekāyano ayaṃ bhikkhave maggo sattānaṃ visuddhiyā sokapariddavānaṃ samatikkamāya dukkhadomanassānaṃ atthaṅgamāya ñāyassa adhigamāya nibbānassa sacchikiriyāya, yadidaṃ cattāro satipaṭṭhānā.Change the font size to match the letters in question.
Hi Tilt, I tried your suggestion in Word, highlighting individual letters one at a time, and slightly reducing their font size. It worked, but would be a very time-consuming exercize if one was doing a fair bit of transcribing. I think maybe the 'pali fonts' program thingy I downloaded over a year ago isn't quite right, somehow. I am quite lacking in tech savviness, so it might take a while for me to sort this issue out...but thanks for your idea, in the immediate term that certainly does work.

To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

manasikara wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: Ekāyano ayaṃ bhikkhave maggo sattānaṃ visuddhiyā sokapariddavānaṃ samatikkamāya dukkhadomanassānaṃ atthaṅgamāya ñāyassa adhigamāya nibbānassa sacchikiriyāya, yadidaṃ cattāro satipaṭṭhānā. Change the font size to match the letters in question.
Hi Tilt, I tried your suggestion in Word, highlighting individual letters one at a time, and slightly reducing their font size. It worked, but would be a very time-consuming exercize if one was doing a fair bit of transcribing. I think maybe the 'pali fonts' program thingy I downloaded over a year ago isn't quite right, somehow. I am quite lacking in tech savviness, so it might take a while for me to sort this issue out...but thanks for your idea, in the immediate term that certainly does work.

I highlighted the whole sentence and increased the size (via trial and error) to match the size of the odd letters. Much less time consuming. Using the "font size" option i found this works as the size:

Code: Select all

[size=115]Ekāyano ayaṃ bhikkhave maggo sattānaṃ visuddhiyā sokapariddavānaṃ samatikkamāya dukkhadomanassānaṃ atthaṅgamāya ñāyassa adhigamāya nibbānassa sacchikiriyāya, yadidaṃ cattāro satipaṭṭhānā.[/size]
Use the large and change the "150" to "115" for the size. It is not perfect, but if you want consistent sizing on the forum, that is one clumsy way to do it.

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi manasikara
change the font! not all fonts have the relevant letter so borrow from another which doesn't show, new times has but it is a new addition, I use tahoma.

sending it thi way as I am being naughty going online at this time :spy:
manasikara wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Ekāyano ayaṃ bhikkhave maggo sattānaṃ visuddhiyā sokapariddavānaṃ samatikkamāya dukkhadomanassānaṃ atthaṅgamāya ñāyassa adhigamāya nibbānassa sacchikiriyāya, yadidaṃ cattāro satipaṭṭhānā.Change the font size to match the letters in question.

Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

Tilt, thanks for your suggestion! Duh, of course...just highlight the lot, why didn't I think of that??

Manapa - I thank you also for the tip about Tahoma. I hope you didn't get into any trouble by helping me out online, at that hour! Though I'm sure the Abbott would forgive anything related to dhammadhuta...

rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Bodhi Monastery has recently made some great improvements to their website. Added to Bhikkhu Bodhi's wonderful series on the Majjhima Nikaya, which remains available, are many new recorded talks, including a series of lectures by Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi on the Sutta-Nipata, as well as the Paramis, and Ven. Bodhi's A Course in the Pali Language, using James Gair and W.S. Karunatilleke's A New Course in Reading Pali as source text. This is over forty hours of instruction available free and a wonderful resource for beginning Pali language students. http://bodhimonastery.org/a-course-in-t ... guage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Not sure if this has already been posted:

Sutta translations - hover the Mouse over pali words for their individual meaning. Great site (thanks to RobertK for bringing it to attention elsewhere.)
http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/samy ... 6-011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
UhBaUnTaUh

Post by UhBaUnTaUh »

http://www.tipitaka.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.budsir.org/program" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you forget them ?
Parking this account.

I have been moved to another account.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Free Pali OpenType Font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have just completed a major upgrade of my Pali OpenType font. I haven't uploaded it to my site yet as I want to get some feedback from Pāli scholars to see if anything needs fixing.

To make use of the OpenType features you will need a supporting application such as PagePlus X5 or later, Word 2010, or InDesign. Other applications can still use it for Pāli, they just won't have access to the OpenType features described in “Pali Description.txt.”

The archive uses 7-Zip Compression to keep it small.

It might be best to send any feedback to me by email rather than cluttering this sticky thread with off-topic discussion. Or start a new thread on Dhamma Wheel if you think printing of Pāli needs a discussion.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Digital Pali Reader Firefox plugin:
http://pali.sirimangalo.org/
Among other features, you can highlight Pali text on any web page and right-click and get a translation.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I figured out how to install the CST4 Tipitaka on Windows 7 — see my post below.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Dear bhante,

I have a WinXP Professional x64 system and CST4 works perfectly for me.

Do you have the required version of the Microsoft .NET Framework? You can get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=16614
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
PimonratC

Post by PimonratC »

(^___^) I hope this will be useful for anyone who need html code for the web.

Website for special character with HTML Entity
http://graphemica.com/

:jumping: