Bhikkhu Bodhi's Vesak Day Address at UN, 2012

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben

Bhikkhu Bodhi's Vesak Day Address at UN, 2012

Post by Ben »

Dear all,

Some of you might find the attached pdf of interest or inspiring, or both.
Your comments are welcome.
with metta,

Ben
Attachments
bbAddressToUNVesak2012.pdf
(939.24 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi's Vesak Day Address at UN, 2012

Post by Kim OHara »

Excellent! An accurate diagnosis of the problems we face and a positive view of the solutions.

:bow:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I found it well-argued, succinct, true, beneficial, & produced at the right time.

:anjali:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
SDC

Post by SDC »

Even keeping in mind the context of this speech and the Venerable's obvious good intentions, I still don't get it. Like others have said the speech was spot on in regards to the world's problems, but it just wasn't what I would've said if I had such an audience. I would've attempted to make it far more personal. But that is just me.

With that, it is likely that the Venerable's level of development exceeds my own and he had a specific reason for presenting the teaching in this way. I just don't see it.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I think it was a very good speech.

Maybe SDC is right and more of a personal touch would've be great. An opportunity to touch the audience and affect transformation right there. These ideas that Ven Bodhi has put forward have been around for a while and generally get relegated into the "too hard" basket. More of a personal appeal could shift them a bit closer to the "to do" basket perhaps. I don't know.
_/|\_
SDC

Post by SDC »

Dan74 wrote:I think it was a very good speech.

Maybe SDC is right and more of a personal touch would've be great. An opportunity to touch the audience and affect transformation right there. These ideas that Ven Bodhi has put forward have been around for a while and generally get relegated into the "too hard" basket. More of a personal appeal could shift them a bit closer to the "to do" basket perhaps. I don't know.
And not even so much "too hard" but those things are more of the effects of our misunderstanding and not the cause. For me, that is a strange (not necessarily bad) way to apply the teaching. But, hey, it was the UN. He is wonderful monk and I think it took guts to go up there and say what he did.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Volker

Post by Volker »

I could not find anything in the address about biodiversity destruction as a major problem of actuality and wonder if buddhism is not rather as anthropocentric as most other religions. Admittedly, the gallopping extinction of plants and animals all over the earth was not a problem 2600 years ago, but buddhists should be able to adapt to such changes as well.
hanzze_

Post by hanzze_ »

Dear Volker,

maybe it has so much unseen effects that it is not needed to make this points to an issue. The healing of that problems are natural side effects by defending the real cause of it. So it does not lead to unproductive pro and contras of alternative ways beside uprooting the basis cause.

And how does it effect unmeasurable:
Five faultless gifts

"There are these five gifts, five great gifts — original, long-standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated, unadulterated from the beginning — that are not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and are unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & brahmans. Which five?

"There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones, abandoning the taking of life, abstains from taking life. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the first gift, the first great gift — original, long-standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated, unadulterated from the beginning — that is not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and is unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & brahmans...

"Furthermore, abandoning taking what is not given (stealing), the disciple of the noble ones abstains from taking what is not given. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the second gift...

"Furthermore, abandoning illicit sex, the disciple of the noble ones abstains from illicit sex. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the third gift...

"Furthermore, abandoning lying, the disciple of the noble ones abstains from lying. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the fourth gift...

"Furthermore, abandoning the use of intoxicants, the disciple of the noble ones abstains from taking intoxicants. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the fifth gift, the fifth great gift — original, long-standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated, unadulterated from the beginning — that is not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and is unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & brahmans. And this is the eighth reward of merit, reward of skillfulness, nourishment of happiness, celestial, resulting in happiness, leading to heaven, leading to what is desirable, pleasurable, & appealing; to welfare & to happiness."

— AN 8.39
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

There is a Vesak conference happening in Bangkok right now, because according to Thai calender the day of Visakha Puja is on the 4th June this year:

http://www.undv.org/vesak2012/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have a full program with some academics presenting papers on interesting topics as well:

http://www.undv.org/vesak2012/en/book.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:reading:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations