YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Being nobody (Classical) - Dhamma Wheel

Being nobody (Classical)

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Coyote

Being nobody (Classical)

Postby Coyote » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Some teachers, especially those of the Thai Forest Traditions, emphasise an attitude that is characterised by "being nobody, going nowhere" over getting to this or that stage or attainment. While I recognise, with the teaching of Anatta and Anicca in mind, that this is ultimately true, I wonder how "traditional" or "classical" this method of teaching of practice is. My understanding is that it is somewhat of a peculiarity to Thai Forest Buddhism, and as a practice may have been influenced by similar attitudes in Mahayana schools such as Zen (not to say that it is not useful or authentic). So, from a Classical POV, is this a useful attitude to cultivate or not?

With metta,

Coyote
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

Alex123

Re: Being nobody

Postby Alex123 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Maybe this is to help prevent Self View (sakkāyadiṭṭhi) and conceit (māna)? If one thinks and believes that "I am this stage" or " I need to become that..." then that is sakkāyadiṭṭhi.

Believing that "I am unawakened and messed up, so I need to practice in order that I will become Awakened" is really really wrong view.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

David2

Postby David2 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:23 pm

I think Philipp Moffit wrote in his book "Dancing with life" something like: "Don't give up your ego too early." (I'm not sure if that were his exact words.) The meaning is that it's a gradual path - if you try to give up your ego over night, you will fail because it's impossible. Be patient.

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:50 pm

"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:54 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Iti 26

Birgit

Postby Birgit » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:23 pm

If there isn´t an I, how can one of you or me wright these reply-textes? Its a paradox for me!
You, just as you are, can meet life on its own terms, taking delight in that which is enjoyable without clinging to it while also living with what is difficult and unpleasant without contracting into resistance to it. To dance with life is to meet life on its terms to be at ease, even enjoy the ever-changing interplay without clinging. Philip Moffit: Dancing with Life page 91/92

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Birgit

Postby Birgit » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:36 pm

You, just as you are, can meet life on its own terms, taking delight in that which is enjoyable without clinging to it while also living with what is difficult and unpleasant without contracting into resistance to it. To dance with life is to meet life on its terms to be at ease, even enjoy the ever-changing interplay without clinging. Philip Moffit: Dancing with Life page 91/92

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:47 pm

suttametta

Postby suttametta » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:59 pm

jason c

Postby jason c » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:12 pm

This idea is just a thought. "I am" is a thought, wrong view. It is a process of consciousness. If all consciousness would cease, where is this Self?[/quote]

"I am" is a thought, the "I" is an illusion. mind consists of 4 processes; consciousness, perception,sensation,and reaction. consciousness is mind free from the body, there is no "I" in consciousness. if consciousness would cease, nibbana(no-thingness) is left. "being nobody" is consciousness.
metta,
jason

manas

Postby manas » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Last edited by manas on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:55 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:54 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Being nobody

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:23 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:38 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 am

Greetings Alex,

Read the OP and see if you can find something useful to say in response to it.

At the moment you're just shadowboxing.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:38 am

Greetings all

This is a reminder that posts that do not conform to the are subject to moderator action.
thanks for your cooperation.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Return to “Classical Theravāda”