YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Buddhism, rebirth and suicide - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Buddhism, rebirth and suicide

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
danieLion

Re: Buddhism, rebirth and suicide

Postby danieLion » Fri May 04, 2012 4:45 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:48 am

Whoah, Daniel, I had no idea.

Goes to show how little we know of the context and the background of the posters here and how hard it is to judge what is appropriate.

I recently had the worst low of my life with several things coming together including difficulties at work and in the family. My self-esteem which I had sort of forgotten about re-emerged very sore and I just felt like everyone's doormat. Thoughts like you describe would flutter in and seem quite enticing at times. Once it was better and I could let them go, I spoke about it with my teacher.

I am sure any words of wisdom and encouragement I have will ring hollow, Daniel, but even with all your constraints, if you concentrate on doing the best that you can (which you already are, I am sure) and not worry about where you are coming short (we are all human and imperfect), you will do just fine!

I think it is important to have a good solid support network especially at a time like this. A good Sangha, friends, kalyana-mittas and not to be afraid to turn to professionals for help when necessary. There is no shame in that.

Thank you also for mentioning Ven Channa - very apposite!
_/|\_

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks Dan74. :anjali:

santa100

Postby santa100 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Yes, and it's Vesak Day! It's extremely rare to be born human. And it's extremely extremely rare to have the opportunity to listen to the Buddha Dhamma. We're the lucky few to have both. With this in mind, I'm willing to stay alive to continue my training even if I have to put up with all terrible sufferings happening to my body and mind. Happy Vesak and may all be well and happy!!

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:30 pm

, by Martin G. Wiltshire
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

alan

Postby alan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:37 pm

I think suicide is perfectly valid for those with terminal conditions who are in pain. In a better society, we'd have a structure for this.

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:05 pm

Alan, I guess its good that the Buddha thought different.

That might be very useful to understand the compassion of what the Buddha taught:
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:01 am

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:13 am

Hello all,

This might be of interest:

Dharma Data: Suicide
''Suicide was a phenomenon known to the Buddha and commented on by him. On one occasion a group of monks doing the meditation on the repulsiveness of the body, without proper guidance, became depressed and killed themselves. When informed that the two lovers had killed themselves so that "they could be together for eternity" the Buddha commented that these actions were based on desire and ignorance. His attitude to suicide is clear from the Vinaya where it is an offence entailing expulsion from the Sangha for a monk to encourage or assist someone to suicide, and thus on a par with murder. Consequently, in Theravada it is considered as a breach of the first Precept, motivated by similar mental states as murder (loathing, fear, anger, desire to escape a problem) only directed towards oneself rather than another. ''
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/dha ... /fdd30.htm

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:21 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:36 am

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:56 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

drifting cloud

Postby drifting cloud » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Cassandra

Postby Cassandra » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:38 pm

My personal opinion is that if someone is undergoing extreme and prolonged physical pain and is unable to find a cure for it, then the most compassionate and wise choice for that person as well as his loved ones is to just put an end to existence. I find this view somewhat compatible with what the suttas indicate.

The Buddha seemingly refused suicide in the vinaya, probably because encouraging suicide is not the most wholesome thing to do, generally speaking. But when bhikku Channa committed suicide, he said the bhikku did not take his life with fault. It seems that Channa was enlightened at the time he committed suicide; therefore his act was not a act of desire or delusion. That indicates the Buddha did not feel the need to continue enduring pain if the act to end it is not arising from delusion or desire but merely to dissolve the aggregates.

Cassandra

Postby Cassandra » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 pm

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.