YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

should a practicing buddhist own a gun? - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

should a practicing buddhist own a gun?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Hanzze

Re: should a practicing buddhist own a gun?

Postby Hanzze » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:41 am

Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 am

jason c

Postby jason c » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:43 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 am

Greetings,

"Gun" is an external object. I find the tendency to speak of "gun" in absolutes to miss the entire point of the Dhamma.

I could point back to Rahula's mirror yet again, but that would probably be boring for you all. In short, kamma is cetana/intention

:guns:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 am

This is why I used the word "armament", as a way to include intention in the term itself - the tool is quite beside the point, as a staff can be a weapon or a medical aid just as a gun can be a weapon or a piece of sports gear. The fact that a monk using a walking stick requires a special dispensation is a sign of how easily confused people can be about this distinction.

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:37 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

SDC

Postby SDC » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01 pm

alan

Postby alan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Once on a visit to Nashville I was invited to go trap shooting and had no choice but to accept...thought I was going to hate it. But guess what? I learned that proper technique and posture as well as a alertness were essential for good results. A focused mind and well balanced body--pointed concentration. The opportunity to shoot last only a second or two and you must respond without discursive thought, tuning in to the moment. Fun!
I found it to be quite satisfying. Went target shooting a few times too, and I enjoyed the focus. I'd do it more often, but don't live near a gun range and don't own a gun. But I do own a camera, and I am often near a beach. This may sound odd, but the focus and clarity I experience when "shooting" photos is not totally unlike what I felt on the gun range. I can see why people get into it.

Of course, photography is a bit more spiritual and holistic, at least for me. Plus it is much quieter!

So to answer the question: Whether or not a practicing Buddhist owns a gun is irrelevant. But if that person uses a gun in a way that enhances their awareness and concentration, well then I say fire away.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:45 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 pm

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:07 pm

I have a very strict interpretation of the first precept and I don't think I would ever own a gun for the purpose of self-protection because it would be too likely that I might kill someone.

I don't think there's anything wrong with target shooting so long as it isn't in preparation for any other type of shooting that might harm, or if it leads to any kind of violent urge. I've seen a few people who target shoot get a little too into it and it doesn't seem to be good for them. On the other hand, many people like to, as Ben said, treat it as a meditative exercise.

My "policy" I guess would be that it's okay for sport but not for protection. I would try my hardest to get a sport rifle or pistol from a company that did not produce other weapons as well, in order to make sure I wasn't inadvertently taking part in the trading of weapons made for killing.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

marc108

Postby marc108 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 pm

i think it's very easy to get into theoretical debates over whether gun ownership is wholesome or not, especially if you personally have never been exposed to violent crime. but when someone has you cornered alone, or someone is kicking the door in with your wife and children in the house... it becomes much less theoretical. the reality is that the world is full of extreme violence, and as far as I can tell in my studies of Buddhism the Buddha did not forbid protecting ones self... but the issue is rather, harming others with the unwholesome intentions. It would be absolutely possible to defend yourself with a gun in a nonlethal way, and not have your primary motivating intentions be unwholesome. To me, one of the most valuable aspects of owning a gun is that simply wielding a gun at someone is enough to end 90% of possibly violent altercations instantly without any actual violence.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."

jason c

Postby jason c » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:46 pm

i brought up a point that everyone has sidestepped, if i own a gun simply to shoot at targets, i must keep that gun locked up, if a member in my family is young or deranged and they find the key, take my gun and kill someone with it, has this hobby been worth it. why would anyone take a chance keeping a weapon such as a gun in their home when so much effort must be put forth just to protect people from it. seems very selfish, and a foolish hobby to me. and if a bus was headed toward me i would simply step aside, i wouldn't pull out a gun and shoot the bus driver. in situations of life and death there usually isn't time to think we simply react. if i have time to think, i better get my gun out of the safe load it and protect my family, you will have made a consciouss choice to kill.
if i leave my house in an angry mood all i will find outside is anger, i will attract it. if i keep a gun in my house for the purpose of killing someone in the event they come to harm my family, i may actually be attracting such an event.
if we are mindful, then as we participate in daily activities we can see if these are beneficial activities or not. if we are not mindful, then we are asleep and may become overpowered by our emotions.
we begin to lead more skillful lives, simpler lives, as we do not crave all the excitements life has to offer.
metta,
jason

jason c

Postby jason c » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:51 pm

marc108

Postby marc108 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:54 pm

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."

jason c

Postby jason c » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:05 pm

marc108

Postby marc108 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:24 pm

SDC

Postby SDC » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:37 pm

jason c

Postby jason c » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Return to “Sīla”