What music are you listening to right now?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
SDC

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by SDC »

I imagine where he would have ended up had he not died so young.

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Not quite so old, only 42 years, but also someone who died at about the same age...

:anjali:
Mike
SDC

Post by SDC »

Nice!

I heard a good story about how Frank Zappa gave Jimi his first wah-wah pedal during a stretch of shows they played at the Fillmore East.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
dhamma_newb

Post by dhamma_newb »

The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:twothumbsup: (though it doesn't quite sound the same streamed through Youtube as it does from CD)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SDC wrote: I heard a good story about how Frank Zappa gave Jimi his first wah-wah pedal during a stretch of shows they played at the Fillmore East.
It's actually interesting how Hendrix's first album (66) is pre-wah, and Axis - Bold As Love (67) is full of it. At the same time, Eric started using it on Disraeli Gears (Tales of Brave Ulysses).

Here's Miles Davis, with John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock, and others a few months after that Hendrix concert, with the track "Right Off" from "A Tribute to Jack Johnson".

The really cool thing about this is how the bass player misses the key change at about 2:10, keeps on obliviously "thunk", "thunk", "thunk" (or, to be fair, perhaps McLaughlin plays the wrong chord). Davis, rather than aborting the take, turns it into a triumph by coming in with just the right notes to resolve the chord...
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Tribute_to_Jack_Johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This was recorded in April 1970, presumably after Davis had become infatuated with Hendrix's Band of Gypsies performances ("That Machine Gun, Man..." sorry, can't do Miles' voice justice in print...) and wanted that funk feel. Only McLaughlin has a wah wah on this, but later, almost everyone in his band had one... This is paralleled in Zappa's band, with Zappa's horn players making nice use of it in the early 70s...

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

At 18:45 on the above McLaughlin heads into the riff from Sly and the Family Stone's "Sing a Simple Song::

Sly and the Family Stone were a much underrated part of the funk/soul/psychedelic thing...

Mike
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

"What holds attention determines action." - William James
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The King of Thailand.

See also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfQ0K84g ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bangkokpost.com/60yrsthrone/jazzy/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://commentariesonthetimes.wordpress.com/2011/04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon
SDC

Post by SDC »

Cheesey, feel good song. I know it from a ski flick from the early 2000's...anything in the background of good skiing is usually a win for me.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

SDC

Post by SDC »

Another band my wife turned me on to.

dhamma_newb

Post by dhamma_newb »

The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman