Meditation Influence Diagram

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tiltbillings

Re: Meditation/Lineage Diagram

Post by tiltbillings »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipa_Ma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goldstein" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
plwk

Post by plwk »

Boy, I am just imagining what this 'guru parampara' would look like in jiva color and full blown pictures... :mrgreen:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

plwk wrote:Boy, I am just imagining what this 'guru parampara' would look like in jiva color and full blown pictures... :mrgreen:
That is what Google is for: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... 0parampara'" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But do stay on topic, please.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Travis,
A bit more feedback, I hope you find it useful...

The relationship between Webu Sayadaw and U Ba Khin wasn't that one of teacher/student but probably more like a mentor.
U Ba Khin cited U Po Thet (Saya Thet Gyi) as his teacher. Webu Sayadaw encouraged (and authorized) U Ba Khin to teach meditation and then visited U Ba Khin and gave talks at IMC in Yangon from the 1950s.
Daw Mya Thwin (Mother Sayamagyi), John Coleman, Robert Hoover and Ruth Dennison were peers, all contemporary students of U Ba Khin. Daw Mya Thwin became the successor of U Ba Khin at IMC. But at that time, at least SN Goenka and John Coleman (perhaps Robert Hoover and Ruth Dennnison) were already authorized by U Ba Khin as assistant teachers. SN Goenka had also been living in India for two years before U Ba Khin's demise in 1971. I don't think any of them, and not just SN Goenka, would consider Daw Mya Thwin as their teacher. I have also heard that John Coleman may have taught at SN Goenka's centre in the early days.

Also...
Sagaing Hills.
There are over 500 pagodas, the Sitagu University, many monasteries and, of course, the caves at neighbouring Prekhamma Hills.

Mahasi Sayadaw:
The lineage should be Ledi Sayadaw -> Monyin Sayadaw -> Mahasi Sayadaw (Burma's Mass Meditation Movement by Ingrid Jordt)
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
David2

Post by David2 »

Very nice work indeed. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
uragamuni

Post by uragamuni »

I built an alternate version of Travis' diagram using a software called GraphViz (http://www.graphviz.org). The graphviz graph representation separates the presentation (layout, etc) from the relationships, so on one hand it's much easier to fix and update the information and on the other hand the layout generation is automatic (but one can include hints to guide it).

The attached file includes source code and the diagram produced from it. This graph is based on the original Travis' diagram plus the fixes/enhacements suggested up to now.
Attachments
meditation-lineage.zip
(30.72 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

uragamuni wrote:I built an alternate version of Travis' diagram using a software called GraphViz (http://www.graphviz.org). The graphviz graph representation separates the presentation (layout, etc) from the relationships, so on one hand it's much easier to fix and update the information and on the other hand the layout generation is automatic (but one can include hints to guide it).

The attached file includes source code and the diagram produced from it. This graph is based on the original Travis' diagram plus the fixes/enhacements suggested up to now.
That is pretty spiffy, and in many ways clearer. Ven Nanarama should have a direct line to Mahasi Sayadaw. Kornfeild should not have a direct line from Munidra-ji. There should be a direct line from Dipa Ma to each: Kornfeild, Goldstein, Salzberb and Schwartz-Mandell. And even that can be refined even more.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

And Kornfield needs a direct line from Ajahn Chah, which would only be appropriate for the individual who helped big time to bring Ajahn Chah and his lineage to the fore.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Nanarama and Mahasi Sayadaw connexion.

Travis

Post by Travis »

Wow, thanks everyone. This is great.
Goofaholix wrote:The way it's laid out makes it look like the Thai Forest tradition is subordinated to the various Burmese traditions
Yeah, that is unfortunate, but just a result of needing to connect Kornfield with Ajahn Chah. The Thai forest tradition was orignially in the top right. Then I realized the Ajahn Chah connection and had to break out Kornfield from a group box and connect with the "Chah lineage."
David N. Snyder wrote:And if you really want to get ambitious with the project, you could make a transmission line that goes back to the Buddha.
That would be cool. Good suggestion. This does lean towards "all-inclusive" which would beg the question why not include every student and every teacher, rather than the arbitrary, but useful, limitation of accessibility to a westerner via speaking or having translations available in english.
Viscid wrote: I'd particularily like to see the Thai Forest tradition's history past Ajahn Sao.
The original intention was to show where each person learned/studied meditation, and if it was not explicitly stated I would include who they ordained under. In the Thai Forest Tradition, as I understand it, Sao was credited by Mun as the origin of the schools meditation practices, but for all intents and purposes it was Mun who was the innovator. From what I have read (perhaps an over-simplification) was that Sao's practice was repeating "Buddho" which is still a feature of the line.
danieLion wrote:...have you thought of any way to (1) delineate chronology, and (2) more straightforwardly specify independent/broken versus overlapping/linking lines?
1. Add a birth/death year to each name.
2. Use different software and/or reformat.
Cittasanto wrote:The problem with the Ajahn Chah area is that not all who were ordained by him were actually his direct students.
Yes. Again just a matter of ironing out the details. Thanks for the info.

Thanks Ben and Tilt for all the info. Some of the "errors" could be that I was looking for who each person had studied meditation with so notions of meditation mentor took precedence over teacher if it wasn't clear if that teacher had taught meditation.

Thanks uragamuni for the alt. version. That could be a good roadmap for a new layout. I think that somethings are better/clearer, but I will see if I can find some software that gives a little more control. I was using asciiflow to generate this diagram. After I got into it, it became more of a limiting factor and resulted in some of the formatting issues.

Thanks again everyone! :bow: I will have some free time tomorrow to go through all of the details and look into other ways of generating the diagram.

With metta,
Travis
Travis

Post by Travis »

1. I'm thinking about reformatting the diagram with diagramly using uragamuni's alt. version as a reference for figuring out the layout.
2. Ben about Mahasi Sayadaw's lineage, I haven't been able to find any other reference (besides the book you provided) to a connection with Ledi>Monyin>Mahasi. In his biography at mahasi.org there is a reference to U Narada:
mahasi.org:
In the eighth year after his Bhikkhu ordination, he and another monk left Mawlamyaing equipped with the bare necessities of a Bhikkhu (i.e. alms bowl, a set of three robes, etc.), and went in search of a clear and effective method in the practice of mediation. At Thaton he met the well-known Mediation Teacher, the Venerable U Nærada, who is also known as 'Mingun Jetawun Sayædaw the First'. He then placed himself under the guidance of the Sayædaw and at once proceeded with an intensive course of mediation.

He had progressed so well in his practice that he was able to teach the method effectively to his first three disciples in Seikkhun while he was on a visit there the example of these three, gradually as many as fifty villagers joined the courses of intensive practice.
Also in Strong Roots by Jake H. Davis (page 111):
The Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw U Nārada (1868-1955) was one monk who became interested in applying his theoretical knowledge from the Pāḷi, but mindfulness practice was apparently so rare in nineteenth century Burma that he had to travel to the wilderness of the Sagaing Hills for guidance. There he found a recluse called the Aletawya Sayadaw, who had practiced with the same The-Lon Sayadaw mentioned above. U Nārada inquired of this reclusive monk how to achieve the goal of the teachings that he had studied so extensively. The Aletawya Sayadaw reportedly asked U Nārada in return why he was looking outside of the Buddha’s teachings, since they so clearly point out the path of mindfulness as the way to achieve awakening.

The satipaṭṭhāna practice taught by the Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw to the Mahāsi Sayadaw and others did not require extensive tranquility preparation previous to insight practice.
Cittasanto:
Cittasanto wrote:or Ajahn Sumedho, who hadn't been ordained by Ajahn Chah, (same for Ajahn Brahm) but these are his disciples.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Sumedho:
From 1967-77 at Wat Nong Pa Pong, trained under Ajahn Chah. He has come to be regarded as the latter's most influential Western disciple.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Brahm:
He subsequently spent nine years studying and training in the forest meditation tradition under Ajahn Chah.
Cittasanto wrote:Mae Chee Kaew isnt there, I think she was a disciple of Ajahn Mun.
also you miss Ajahn Vajiro.
It seems that Mae Chee Kaew received instruction from Ajahn Mun and Maha Bua according to her biography. Ajahn Vajiro would be connected to Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Travis wrote: Cittasanto:
Cittasanto wrote:or Ajahn Sumedho, who hadn't been ordained by Ajahn Chah, (same for Ajahn Brahm) but these are his disciples.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Sumedho:
From 1967-77 at Wat Nong Pa Pong, trained under Ajahn Chah. He has come to be regarded as the latter's most influential Western disciple.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Brahm:
He subsequently spent nine years studying and training in the forest meditation tradition under Ajahn Chah.
I said ordained, that is different from being a disciple, or training under someone.
I can not remember who ordained Ajahn Sumedho, but Ajahn Brahm was ordained by the present acting Sangharaja.
Cittasanto wrote:Mae Chee Kaew isnt there, I think she was a disciple of Ajahn Mun.
also you miss Ajahn Vajiro.
It seems that Mae Chee Kaew received instruction from Ajahn Mun and Maha Bua according to her biography. Ajahn Vajiro would be connected to Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho.
Yes, Although I Believe he is a disciple of Ajahn Chah.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Travis

Post by Travis »

Cittasanto wrote:I said ordained, that is different from being a disciple, or training under someone.
I guess we may be talking past each other here a bit. Just to be clear, the connections I would like to illustrate are more "trained/mentored in meditation under" and lacking this detail I rely on "Ordained Under" or "Disciple of"
Cittasanto wrote:Yes, Although I Believe he is a disciple of Ajahn Chah.

Yes, that seems to be true. Regarding his connection to Sumedho: "Since 1984, Ajahn Vajiro has been assisting at the Amaravati Buddhist Monastery in England that is under the leadership of Ajahn Sumedho." There is no evidence of any training/mentorship, but the proximity would be of interest to those who are interested in Sumedho, so it would be included, but by a line without an arrow (denoting the direction of the transmission of ideas/teaching/mentorship).

Thanks cittasanto
Travis

Post by Travis »

Here are some of the additions/revisions I plan on making, anyone who has any info, suggestions, corrections, etc. let me know. I will probably start a new diagram soon. *teachers included in Kornfield's "Living Dharma"

Ajahn Chah>Ajan Sumedho>Ajahn Sucitto
Ajahn Brahm & Ajahn Maha Chatchai>Sujato
Ajahn Mun>Mae Chee Kaew
Ajahn Chah & Ajahn Sumedho>Ajahn Vajiro
Mahasi sayadaw & Munindraji (Anagarika Shri Munindra)>Dipa Ma>silva Boorstein, joseph goldstein, Michelle Levy, Sharon Salzberg
S.N. Goenka>Munindraji>Sharon Salzberg & Surya Das & Joseph Goldstein
S.N Goenka & Dipa Ma & Sayadaw U Pandita> Joseph Goldstein
Jack Kornfield>Gil Fronsdal
Narada Thera> Ayya Khema
Mahasi Sayadaw>Jayana>Nanarama
Ajahn Pathunta U Vilasa>Ajahn Naeb*
Ajahn Dhammadharo>Ajahn Jumien*
Ledi>U Ba San>Sunlun*>Sayadw "U Sobhana" (not Mahasi Sayadaw)
Yay Lai Sayadw>Sunlun*
Ledi>Mogok? & sayagyi U Kyi
U Narada>Taungpulu Sayadaw
Bhaddanta Sobhita & Mahasi Sayadaw >Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw>U Tejaniya
Ajahn Dhammadaro>Ajahn Ghosananda>Jack Kornfield
Ajahn Chah & Mahasi sayadaw & Ajahn Buddhadasa & Dipa Ma>Jack Kornfield
Jack Kornfield (remove) U Pandita & Munindraji connections

Does anyone know if Mogok trained under Ledi Sayadaw? He is said to have "followed in the footsteps" of Ledi, and I have seen comments about a certain similarity in the approach of the two, but can't find a clear "teacher" or "tradition" for Mogok.

Also I'm having trouble figuring out anything about if Yay Lai Sayadaw (taught Sunlun) is connected anywhere else. He is said to be "of Meik-hti-lar" and may be connected to "Nyaung-Lunt monastery"?

:anjali:
Last edited by Travis on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Keep in mind that Kornfeild does not list Munidraji as a teacher. His primary practice and training.was as a monk under Ajahn Chah.