Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dhammapal

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Post by dhammapal »

Hello everyone,

I decided I couldn't wait another 3 months so I purchased the 1933 Pali Text Society Gradual Sayings F.L. Woodward and E.M. Hare translation.

So far most of the suttas I like most are already on Access to Insight or Nyanaponika Thera's anthologies (Parts I, II & III) so I'm advising people to wait the few more months for Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation.

I'd like to use Bhikkhu Bodhi's Thematic Guide from the NDB Digital Preview pdf but the PTS version has a different chapter numbering system. Does anyone have a link regarding converting one to the other?

Thanks / dhammapal.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

dhammapal wrote:Does anyone have a link regarding converting one to the other?
Access to Insight has the PTS version at the link to the Pali version of the text. For example:

AN 1.21-40: Ekadhamma Suttas — A Single Thing {A i 5; I,iii,1-10; I,iv,1-10} [Thanissaro].

I believe the A i 5 refers to PTS AN volume 1, page 5. But you can only see the conversion for the texts they have online, not all suttas.
BKh

Post by BKh »

Since this question seemed a little off topic, I started a new thread to answer it as well as a place for people who want to go through Bhante's study guide.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
dhammadarsa

Post by dhammadarsa »

Hi All

I hope this post finds you all in good health and peace of mind.

Amazon has under Product Details on their webpage for Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation that it will be available 25th Sept. :clap:
http://www.amazon.com/Numerical-Discour ... the+Buddha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind Regards
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Thank you for this thread!
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
SDC

Post by SDC »

Just got a shipping confirmation. Says I will have it by the 26th! :woohoo:

EDIT - It has arrived!
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Moth

Post by Moth »

It's been delayed on Amazon :cry: Where did you order it from?
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

http://www.wisdompubs.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display ... n=&image=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got my copy. I like how it appears to have the PTS numbering equivalents written on the top of each page; that way I could eventually compare the translation with the older PTS edition. Haven't had time to go through it much yet, but I am sure it is a big improvement on the previous [PTS]translation.
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

The A.N. has made it Down Under! :) It even got delivered on a public holiday! :tongue:

I bought the 1934 PTS translation four months ago and I've been reading it right up until getting the new one to relieve my impatience (a form of anger). They only managed seven pages a day from July 2011 but reading the Preface I learned that there were some assistant translators involved so the translation wasn't finished in July 2011 after all. :coffee:

I've found good results come from opening at a random page although Bhikkhu Bodhi's Thematic Guide will be helpful.

With metta / dhammapal.
TessaHenley

Post by TessaHenley »

Hello!
I'm really new to this, and you all have me to interested. What exactly is the Anguttara? I see the abbreviations AN and SN everywhere. Can someone fill me in on what they are?

Much appreciated!
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

TessaHenley wrote:Hello!
I'm really new to this, and you all have me to interested. What exactly is the Anguttara? I see the abbreviations AN and SN everywhere. Can someone fill me in on what they are?

Much appreciated!
The Anguttara is one of five Nikayas, or groups of suttas. Suttas are the vague equivalent of sermons. The five Nikayas are the Dingha, Majjhima, Samyutta (that's the SN you see around), Anguttara (AN), and Khuddaka.

Each Nikaya is between a thousand and four thousand pages long and contain hundreds of suttas.

The Nikayas are written in Pali, which is the ancient language in which the Buddha's teachings were first written.

Bhikkhu Bodhi is an American monk who is currently trying to translate the entire Suttapitika (literally "basket of suttas," referring to the entire collection of the Buddha's sermons) into English; he's already done the Majjhima, and Samyutta and we are all excited for the Anguttara to come out soon!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
TessaHenley

Post by TessaHenley »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
TessaHenley wrote:Hello!

Much appreciated!
The Anguttara is one of five Nikayas, or groups of suttas. Suttas are the vague equivalent of sermons. The five Nikayas are the Dingha, Majjhima, Samyutta (that's the SN you see around), Anguttara (AN), and Khuddaka.

Each Nikaya is between a thousand and four thousand pages long and contain hundreds of suttas.

The Nikayas are written in Pali, which is the ancient language in which the Buddha's teachings were first written.

Bhikkhu Bodhi is an American monk who is currently trying to translate the entire Suttapitika (literally "basket of suttas," referring to the entire collection of the Buddha's sermons) into English; he's already done the Majjhima, and Samyutta and we are all excited for the Anguttara to come out soon!

Thank you! Thank you! Your insight is much appreciated!
xinuflux

Post by xinuflux »

I see the to-be-available-soon Kindle version is MORE?! expensive than the hardcopy. Amazon Lobha. http://www.amazon.com/The-Numerical-Dis ... 1614290407
Moth

Post by Moth »

Kindle version seems to be down to $40.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Moth wrote:Kindle version seems to be down to $40.
Ah yes, but are the end notes hot-linked to the text??
I do love the kindle but I don't like the pain-in-the-backside routine of going to an end note and back again.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..