Happy to say hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Happy to say hello!

Postby Sher » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:57 am

Hello Everyone:
I stumbled onto Dhamma Wheel by chance a few days back when I was doing an Internet search for Upekkha meditation. Not sure why the forum came up as a result of this search term, but it did, and I am delighted to have found the group. I've had a long journey to get here as perhaps many of us have -- in childhood a Methodist, dabbled into metaphysics with Goldstein, Thomas Hora and the like, practiced Christian Science for fifteen years, and have been studying and trying to practice Theravada Buddhism for the past four years. Living in a very rural region of the US, being a householder with a non-Buddhist, not-knowing another Buddhist within 600 miles, and sometimes encountering sticky points makes me occasionally desirous of having some spiritual friends --even if they are in cyberspace! Some years back I took a meditation course online, and I have participated in the forum with that course, but the discussion and connection has been, overall, quite minimal. I believe that Western lay practitioners have some unique challenges and unique opportunities, and I am fairly interested in exploring these as they arise. Anyway--this seems like a good group; I hope to participate as best I can. Sher
Sher

Re: Happy to say hello!

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:39 am

Greetings and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:hello:

Many of us here are 'geographically challenged' with regards to access to local practitioners, and therefore find much benefit in being able to communicate with other wayfarers along the path. It is a bonus blessing that we also have ordained Buddhists who drop by at Dhamma Wheel and participate too.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Guy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:18 am

Welcome! :group:

I haven't been here very long myself but I have been here long enough to know that such friendly, honest, sincere people as can be found here is a rare find in the world...especially the online world. I hope you like it here.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Postby Sindre » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:28 am

Greetings saschwartz! Nice to meet you! :hello:

Mettaya,
Sindre :)
"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."
Sindre

Postby Dhammanando » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:56 am

Hi Saschwartz,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel. :smile:

Best wishes,
Dhammanando
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby acinteyyo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:05 am

Hi Saschwartz,

nice to meet you :hello:

best wishes,
acinteyya
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare, sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipadan. (AN4.45)

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Postby Dhammabodhi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:00 am

Welcome to Dhammawheel, Saschwartz! I'm new here myself, and I second Guy's opinion about this forum!

With Metta,
Dhammabodhi
-Samāhitam cittam yathābhutam pajānāti.

समाहितं चित्तं यथाभूतं पजानाती |

A concentrated mind sees things as they really are.

-Ujuko nāma so maggo, abhayā nāma sā disā.

उजुको नाम सो माग्गो, अभया नाम सा दिसा |

'Straight' is this path, fearlessness is its way.
Dhammabodhi

Postby Sher » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:57 pm

Good morning and hello again everyone and thank you for the warm welcome. It seems fortunate indeed to have discovered the group. I look forward to posting and connecting with you again soon. I feel it is quite wonderful that we also may have some impute from visiting bhikkhus and bhikkhunis. :smile:

Sher
Sher

Postby Rhino » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:55 pm

Welcome to the forum. :anjali:

With best wishes
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma
Rhino

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:42 pm

saschwartz wrote:Living in a very rural region of the US, being a householder with a non-Buddhist, not-knowing another Buddhist within 600 miles, and sometimes encountering sticky points makes me occasionally desirous of having some spiritual friends --even if they are in cyberspace!

Hi Sher,

It sounds like Dhamma Wheel is the perfect place for you!

Welcome!

:buddha2:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:54 pm

where in alaska are you?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Return to Introductions