Uncertain Minds: How the West Misunderstands Buddhism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
ground

Re: Uncertain Minds: How the West Misunderstands Buddhism

Post by ground »

Ñāṇa wrote:Batchelor and Peacock's aversion towards the word "religion" is also kinda funny.
Don't know whether they have aversion and I am not interested in listening to their talk but religious thought seems to be strongly intermingled with "clinging to ideas/imaginations" which is why some seem to prefer the anti-religious aspects of buddhism ("anti" must not be confused with aversion). The religious aspects appear to provide a home for consciousness while the anti-religious aspects point to homelessness. One man's cake is another man's poison.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

ground wrote:...religious thought seems to be strongly intermingled with "clinging to ideas/imaginations" which is why some seem to prefer the anti-religious aspects of buddhism ("anti" must not be confused with aversion). The religious aspects appear to provide a home for consciousness while the anti-religious aspects point to homelessness.
This seems to me to be an inaccurate oversimplification. This morning I was reading a chapter in Ajahn Munindo's Unexpected Freedom which accords with what I've observed around Asian teachers and monastics:
  • Our Asian teachers may not have explicitly taught the necessity of cultivating an attitude of devotion, but they certainly demonstrated it themselves. There are a number of instances I can remember when I saw certain gestures that really cut right through any doubts or confusion I may have had about the overall attitude I should be keeping in my day-to-day practice.

When I was a new monk and visiting Wat Pah Bahn Tard, which is the monastery of Ajahn Mahaboowa –- renowned as one of the most ferocious and mighty masters of the present Theravada Buddhist Forest tradition –- I was waiting in the eating hall in the early morning, before we all went out on alms round together, when the Venerable Ajahn came in. I expected that he would probably start snapping orders to the monks, and then rush off on pindapat -– he had a reputation for being very gruff and very fast. But what did he do? As he quietly entered the hall, the first thing he did was humbly kneel before the shrine and bow with the most gracious prostrations that one would ever wish to see. I wondered, “Why is he doing that? He’s supposed to be enlightened. I mean what is he doing bowing to graven images?”

This uninhibited expression of his devotion was a natural part of his disposition. He had grown up with that sensibility, as Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Tate and other eminent monks had. The same is true in Burma. At the monasteries of the various well-known and Venerable Sayadaws, you will see numerous well-kept shrines with monks, nuns and laity alike offering respect by way of candles, flowers and incense. Before and after sitting meditation they always mindfully bow three times in devotion to the Buddha, their teacher to whom they know they owe so much. This is so normal, so close to them that they just take it for granted. Addhithan, making determinations, generating these conscious wishes from a deep place within is thoroughly natural, and this, I feel, is one of the essential nourishments of the contemplative life.
Last edited by Nyana on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

One man's cake is another man's poison.
Well I guess to overcome exactly this personal aspects is the step into Dhamma. Not every bodies step is a step of saddha. People prefer to believe to what fits to their ideas (the ideas where they feel secure and can go on as usual). "When something is against the my ways, it can not be from benefit"
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

danieLion wrote: When I first encountered Batchelor and Peacock was a little starry eyed, I'll admit. BUT, my main beef with them and their like right now is how irrelevant they are. They seem to be operating under the assumption that deconstruction is the latest, cutting edge, academic tool.
Just as extistential and phenomenological philosophy was was the cutting edge a century or so ago? :reading:

See the thread on Western Folk Buddhism: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ñāṇa wrote: This morning I was reading a chapter in Ajahn Munindo's Unexpected Freedom which accords with what I've observed around Asian teachers and monastics: ...
Thanks for that. Very refreshing after listening to that recording...

Mike
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

ground wrote:The religious aspects appear to provide a home for consciousness while the anti-religious aspects point to homelessness.
There is of course something true in it, but I guess your idea is something different, as you (as far as I had seen) believe is homelessness, while sitting in a "secure" living room.
Yes, many seek for a additional home in religion, in a group in a kind of identification, which at least would not match the point in it fullest dimension. But that is a step on the way. Very view will be a master without getting through a process. Although the modern people believe in such ways. We can observer that in even in any hand craft tradition. There is only junk left. Half knowledge, quarter knowledge and skill, skill of imitation. This skill of imitation has become to a normality, to a way it is "wise". People do not care if they are sustain on dependent things if it feels good for them.
The Way to the Monastery

Virtue, concentration, and discernment: These three things the Buddha called a path. The path isn't the religion, and it's not what the Buddha really wanted, but they're the way we get there.

It's the same as your coming from Bangkok to Wat Nong Pah Pong. You didn't want the road coming here. You wanted to reach the monastery instead. But the road was needed for you to get here. The road coming here isn't the monastery. It's just the road to the monastery. You have to follow the road to get to the monastery.

Virtue, concentration, and discernment are the road to peace, which is what we really want.
And the with the Wat or with religion, it's the same. But it is impossible to find to come to the other shore on another path like the eightfold path and this path starts with right view and right livelihood is also a important section which's possibility is provided by the tradition. Some may have the rare karmic conditions to maintain it outside, but that is not something we can adopt as a general way, or a way adoptable by many.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
ground

Post by ground »

Ñāṇa wrote:
ground wrote:...religious thought seems to be strongly intermingled with "clinging to ideas/imaginations" which is why some seem to prefer the anti-religious aspects of buddhism ("anti" must not be confused with aversion). The religious aspects appear to provide a home for consciousness while the anti-religious aspects point to homelessness.
This seems to me to be an inaccurate oversimplification. This morning I was reading a chapter in Ajahn Munindo's Unexpected Freedom which accords with what I've observed around Asian teachers and monastics:
  • Our Asian teachers may not have explicitly taught the necessity of cultivating an attitude of devotion, but they certainly demonstrated it themselves. There are a number of instances I can remember when I saw certain gestures that really cut right through any doubts or confusion I may have had about the overall attitude I should be keeping in my day-to-day practice.

When I was a new monk and visiting Wat Pah Bahn Tard, which is the monastery of Ajahn Mahaboowa –- renowned as one of the most ferocious and mighty masters of the present Theravada Buddhist Forest tradition –- I was waiting in the eating hall in the early morning, before we all went out on alms round together, when the Venerable Ajahn came in. I expected that he would probably start snapping orders to the monks, and then rush off on pindapat -– he had a reputation for being very gruff and very fast. But what did he do? As he quietly entered the hall, the first thing he did was humbly kneel before the shrine and bow with the most gracious prostrations that one would ever wish to see. I wondered, “Why is he doing that? He’s supposed to be enlightened. I mean what is he doing bowing to graven images?”

This uninhibited expression of his devotion was a natural part of his disposition. He had grown up with that sensibility, as Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Tate and other eminent monks had. The same is true in Burma. At the monasteries of the various well-known and Venerable Sayadaws, you will see numerous well-kept shrines with monks, nuns and laity alike offering respect by way of candles, flowers and incense. Before and after sitting meditation they always mindfully bow three times in devotion to the Buddha, their teacher to whom they know they owe so much. This is so normal, so close to them that they just take it for granted. Addhithan, making determinations, generating these conscious wishes from a deep place within is thoroughly natural, and this, I feel, is one of the essential nourishments of the contemplative life.
From a psychological perspective devotion to (an imagined person, ghost or deity or god) may appear as an antidot to some sort of self-aggrandisation. No doubt that it may be helpful or even necessary for some.

Kind regards
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:... believe in homelessness...
Is exactly the opposite of homelessness as it is the case with any belief. Belief is a home for consciousness.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Yes, that is what I am talking about. You can see it easy on how a person actually lifes and acts. Some build a very nice home, breaking body and mind apart, giving an amount of mind to "that's the way it is" and enclose the other in a bubble of ideas of homelessness.
Mostly they cut only pieces out of a content, the whole would destroy their bubble and find no ground for an "homeless" argument.

It's not possible to have no believes as long as you don't know. If you like people believe that you actually know the final homelessness, that what is the different with an other believe? You would only be able to provide a way and the way you act and live would be a reverence to believe that it is possible. Sure many would tend to believe living room ascetics or others who sell sap wood. We wan' it all.
Last edited by Hanzze on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:You can see it easy on how a person actually lifes and acts.
This is belief in perceptions and concomittant mental fabrications. Self-identification with aggregates. Consciousness' home.
Last edited by ground on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

ground wrote:From a psychological perspective devotion to (an imagined person, ghost or deity or god) may appear as an antidot to some sort of self-aggrandisation. No doubt that it may be helpful or even necessary for some.
Devotion to the Buddha, dhamma, & saṅgha has nothing to do with devotion to "an imagined person, ghost, or deity, or god."
ground

Post by ground »

Ñāṇa wrote:
ground wrote:From a psychological perspective devotion to (an imagined person, ghost or deity or god) may appear as an antidot to some sort of self-aggrandisation. No doubt that it may be helpful or even necessary for some.
Devotion to the Buddha, dhamma, & saṅgha has nothing to do with devotion to "an imagined person, ghost, or deity, or god."
This may be how you want to perceive it. From a pyschological perspective - and this I referred to - it may appear differently.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

ground wrote:
This is belief in perceptions and concomittant mental fabrications. Self-identification with aggregates. Consciousness' home.
Some things are sophisticated lies to one self.
In addition to providing these incentives for honestly admitting misbehavior, the Buddha blocked the paths to denial. Modern sociologists have identified five basic strategies that people use to avoid accepting blame when they've caused harm, and it's noteworthy that the Pali teaching on moral responsibility serves to undercut all five. The strategies are: to deny responsibility, to deny that harm was actually done, to deny the worth of the victim, to attack the accuser, and to claim that they were acting in the service of a higher cause. The Pali responses to these strategies are: (1) We are always responsible for our conscious choices. (2) We should always put ourselves in the other person's place. (3) All beings are worthy of respect. (4) We should regard those who point out our faults as if they were pointing out treasure. (Monks, in fact, are required not to show disrespect to people who criticize them, even if they don't plan to abide by the criticism.) (5) There are no — repeat, no — higher purposes that excuse breaking the basic precepts of ethical behavior.

from Reconciliation, Right & Wrong
They are very connected with right view starting on an low level:
"And how is right view the forerunner? One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view. And what is wrong view? 'There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed. There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions. There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings; no brahmans or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is wrong view...

"One tries to abandon wrong view & to enter into right view: This is one's right effort. One is mindful to abandon wrong view & to enter & remain in right view: This is one's right mindfulness. Thus these three qualities — right view, right effort, & right mindfulness — run & circle around right view."

— MN 117
Just that! *smile*

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

ground wrote:
Ñāṇa wrote:
This may be how you want to perceive it. From a pyschological perspective - and this I referred to - it may appear differently.
Just for those who did not understand the refuge and have not been able to adopt it, out of this cause. To much perception maybe, to much believe rather than saddha. Of cause that what is mass religion is based on believe and rarely on saddha. But it's a frame where the other can exist and not an enemy.
Just that! *smile*

ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:
ground wrote:
Some things are sophisticated lies to one self.
Perceiving it that way consciousness seeks home in what it presents to itself as "non-lie".
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

That is something you might should think about.
Just that! *smile*