Hello dear kalyanamittas

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Sokehi

Hello dear kalyanamittas

Post by Sokehi »

I started practicing within the soto zen tradition before I travelled to Wat Pah Nanachat to get ordained as an Anagarika in 2002. After a few months of training there I returned to germany.

Sadhu! :anjali:
Last edited by Sokehi on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Ben

Re: Hello dear kalyanamittas

Post by Ben »

Greetings Michael and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Thank you Ben for your warm welcome :)

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Michael!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha1:
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Welcome! :smile:
Do you plan to stay a layperson after your time as an anagarika ?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Sokehi wrote:My name is Michael. Currently I live in germany.

I started practicing within the soto zen tradition, lived a couple of months at Zen Zentrum Eisenbuch before I travelled to Wat Pah Nanachat to get ordained as an Anagarika in 2002. After a few months of training there I returned to germany.

Sadhu! :anjali:
hi Michael,
Welcome Aboard.
how did you find your time as a Anagarika? I was one at Amaravati for just over a year.

why such a glum name?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Willkommen, Michael!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Michael,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome to Dhammawheel Michael!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Thank you very much everybody :)

@alobha: I'm unsure what you mean. Well I used to be an Anagarika back in 2002 and since then I am a layperson (but anagarikas are still laity anyways I guess?), but not a huge shake of a layperson :) I "disrobed" at Nanachat and stayed afterwards for a week or so, leaving the kuti, back to sleep above the kitchen as laymen usually do there.

@Cittasanto: well how did I find it? very cold, very hungry, very sore feet after pindabat, very happy, very afraid, very uplifted, very challenged... I guess you know what it is like within the frying pan of a monastery ;) the coin there has multiple sides. But still I recollect my time there as one of the most important and inspiring times of all my life ... just being a pahkow for just 3 months or so though. and I thought something glum like sokehi is more honest than "superbodhisattva" or something like that ;)

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Sokehi wrote:
@Cittasanto: well how did I find it? very cold, very hungry, very sore feet after pindabat, very happy, very afraid, very uplifted, very challenged... I guess you know what it is like within the frying pan of a monastery ;) the coin there has multiple sides. But still I recollect my time there as one of the most important and inspiring times of all my life ... just being a pahkow for just 3 months or so though. and I thought something glum like sokehi is more honest than "superbodhisattva" or something like that ;)
:-)
it is not quite the same in the west, no pindabat, although it has its own unique difficulties.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

In 2003 or so I stayed a couple of weeks at Aruna Rathanagiri (beautiful place with a wonderful abbot ;) ). So I could get a taste of forest sangha life in the west.

How did you find it living in a dual community like Amaravati? At Zen Zentrum Eisenbuch I found it difficult, not necesarrilly sexually but social-emotionally for sure.

Just to make it clear: I'm definetely pro bhikkuni... but after my experiences I think it is better to live in different viharas. But I'd welcome your impressions for my reflection.

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Sokehi wrote:In 2003 or so I stayed a couple of weeks at Aruna Rathanagiri (beautiful place with a wonderful abbot ;) ). So I could get a taste of forest sangha life in the west.

How did you find it living in a dual community like Amaravati? At Zen Zentrum Eisenbuch I found it difficult, not necesarrilly sexually but social-emotionally for sure.

Just to make it clear: I'm definetely pro bhikkuni... but after my experiences I think it is better to live in different viharas. But I'd welcome your impressions for my reflection.
Harnham is a very nice place and I respect Ajahn Munindo very much.
Zen (if the japanese form) don't have the same protocals when it comes to the sexes so it isn't good to compare the two, although the social aspect was a big challange for me also.
I believe the two sides should be as independent as possible, but not completely separate but far enough away so tensions can easily be averted/avoided.

John Stuart Mill
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

As mentioned before somewhere else on the Dhammawheel I'm happy to be able finally to leave this household here in august and take up Anagarika training at one of the english monasteries sometimes later :anjali:

I won't be able after this to contribute any more to this board (or any other social media).

I'll hop in every now and then until august and would like to express my sincere thank you to the admins and the forummembers that contribute in a supportive and wholesome way to the needs and questions of others on this board. You all have been great online-kalyanamittas for me :bow: