Pa-Auk Tawya Sayadaw

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

Pa-Auk Tawya Sayadaw

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Does anyone have a good resource for the "Pa-Auk Meditation System?" I'm not finding many resources. Any quick summary or more detailed examination out there?

Thanks!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Pa-Auk Tawya Sayadaw

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:59 pm

LonesomeYogurt wrote:Does anyone have a good resource for the "Pa-Auk Meditation System?" I'm not finding many resources. Any quick summary or more detailed examination out there?

Shaila Catherine's books are an excellent resource on his method.

Focussed and fearless is a good Intro, Wisdom Deep and Wide if you really want to go into it in detail.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby bodom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 pm

LonesomeYogurt wrote:Does anyone have a good resource for the "Pa-Auk Meditation System?" I'm not finding many resources. Any quick summary or more detailed examination out there?

Thanks!

Pa-Auk Tawya Dhamma Books
http://www.paaukforestmonastery.org/books.htm

Knowing & Seeing is his masterpiece. Start there.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby marc108 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Goofaholix wrote:

Focussed and fearless is a good Intro, Wisdom Deep and Wide if you really want to go into it in detail.

It's my understanding she wrote those books, as sort of how-to guidebooks to be used on retreat, at the request of Pa-Auk. So yea, Shaila's books are probably your best bet.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
marc108

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 pm

marc108 wrote:
Goofaholix wrote:

It's my understanding she wrote those books, as sort of how-to guidebooks to be used on retreat, at the request of Pa-Auk. So yea, Shaila's books are probably your best bet.

I haven't finished Wisdom Wide and Deep, but I'm very impressed with what I've read so far. Shaila has extensive teaching expreience and knowledge, and one of the delights of that book is the extended referencing of material back to the suttas.

It's also written as a "multi level" document, with advice for everyday life practice as well as practices that will most likely require retreats to master.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby theY » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 am

What Pa Auk Sayadaw teach ?
http://tipitakanews.org/en/node/30
Lesson Relationship of Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha (10/31/2012)
http://tipitakanews.org/en/node/61
theY

Return to Insight Meditation