YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Samatha to See Gods. - Dhamma Wheel

Samatha to See Gods.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Son

Samatha to See Gods.

Postby Son » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:48 am

For a long time I have been able to feel the presence of devas in certain places, and to understand partially some of their affairs. This only refers to the devas that live parallel to us, on the lowest heavenly sphere, specifically on the surface of earth. These are devas that live in the ground, in plants and trees, and in the air. I've noticed this to be true, on certain occasions. In the house I used to live, deep in the woods, in a field across from that house was a huge round oak tree, which a pleasant deva called his own home. He enjoyed the horses and the bats, and humming in my friend's ear. He was always happy to see me, and delighted in watching over the horses, and endangered fox squirrels who dwelt amid the field with him. I always tried to ask him about learning the Dharma, and he understood little of what I said, but he still enjoyed it very much. This sparked an interest in relating to devas in a spiritual way, rather than just a neighborly way as had been my custom earlier in life. So that is why I'm posting this now.

However as some of my meditation, actually samatha, diminished, so too did my perception of these devas diminish, but my feeling for their presence (a fleeting irresolute feeling) has never gone, the same feeling that's always been there since earliest childhood. Now in this season of this later year of my life, I was taken to a secluded place in this new neighborhood I live in, by a friend, and as we proceeded through the forest path, I became aware that we were entering the earthly dwellingplace of a multitude of gods. I began to see them, first a watchman of some sort, who I bowed to and whose only response was to raise a finger to his lips. We then saw two gods in large puddles of water, gods talking to each other at a dirt crossroads, gods floating in the air above the tree tops, and so on. It was practically a village, and I was distinctly aware that a "lord" of some sort was present, since I felt his awareness of us constantly, and whenever we strayed from the area, I felt his eye over us fade. (Here we glimpsed an asura.)

Eventually my friend took me to the creek she wanted to show me, where there was a male god lounging by a tree, and a female going about her own business. Down in the creek, where the spring water poured from a small tunnel, there was a very young-looking goddess who--I suppose--dwelt in one of the trees growing above the pool or in the water itself. As per usual, nowadays, I was hardly able to understand anything she said, but I could vaguely see her, just as I had vaguely saw the others. This was only because most of them were much brighter than usual--because of the time? Who knows.

I feel like after so many years, waiting around on these feelings, it's time to actively pursue them. I'm going to relate to these gods in a spiritual way, with the Dharma. For the benefit of myself and others. I'm posting this to ask about experience, and to ask about samatha meditation to seeing and hearing godly beings.

Thank you.
A seed sleeps in soil.
It's cold and alone, hopeless.
Until it blooms above.

Eccedustin

Re: Samatha to See Gods.

Postby Eccedustin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 am

Hmm..So, do you see these Gods physically? Literally? Or do you sense that they are there?
The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself! The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself because we are awake, conscious and aware of ourselves. We are the not just in the universe, we are the universe.

Son

Postby Son » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:57 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:59 am

Ever see any nagas?
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

Eccedustin

Postby Eccedustin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:05 am

The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself! The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself because we are awake, conscious and aware of ourselves. We are the not just in the universe, we are the universe.

Son

Postby Son » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:07 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

Eccedustin

Postby Eccedustin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:11 am

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:17 am

Son

Postby Son » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:18 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

Son

Postby Son » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:21 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

Son

Postby Son » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:51 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

JBG

Postby JBG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:16 am

Son

Postby Son » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:40 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:01 am

JBG

Postby JBG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:12 am

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:31 pm

JBG

Postby JBG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:24 pm

I too don't get it, but I don't make fun of it, 'cause I'm sure there are people who get it, whatever it is.

Eccedustin

Postby Eccedustin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Have you tried taking photographs of these Devas?

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:27 am

I believe the Jhanas are a requirement for rebirth in the Deva realms, and a Deva's mind is more often than not in a Jhana state.

I guess a good way to comunicate could be to sit a do samatha. If a Deva recognizes in the human the ability to reach Jhanas it may have some interest in communication.
With Metta

santa100

Postby santa100 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Is it possible to communicate with a Deva? Sure, but...one will need to attain the fourth jhana according to MN 79, Culasakuludayi Sutta (ref: http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Culasakuludayi_Sutta )

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”