Vipassana taught by the Buddha

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

Re: Vipassana taught by the Buddha

Postby starter » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi thanks for the input. Anapanasati is for developing the 4 mindfulness (mindfulness of body/feeling/mind/Dhamma) ["... mindfulness of in-&-out breathing is developed & pursued so as to bring the four frames of reference to their culmination"]. I tend to think the 4 tetrads can all be used for Vipassana to penetrate the anicca nature of body/feeling/mind/Dhamma, or bodily & mental formations. The penetration of the four (not only one) is needed for gaining insight on the anicca/dukkha/anatta nature of the five aggregates (body, feeling, and mind which includes perception, volitional formation and consciousness aggregates).

Yesterday at another forum I read a question concerning being mindful of body (or feeling or mind or Dhamma) alone can fulfill the mindfulness enlightenment factor and subsequently the other 6 enlightenment factors, which can bring clear knowing & release to their culmination, then why we need to practice all the 4 mindfulness ["This is how the four frames of reference are developed & pursued so as to bring the seven factors for awakening to their culmination" - MN 118]. The phrasing (or translation?) of MN 118 about this part is indeed a bit confusing. But I believe we definitely need to develop all the 4 mindfulness instead of only one, as mentioned above.

Metta to all,

Starter
starter

Re: Vipassana taught by the Buddha

Postby pegembara » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:41 am

Yesterday at another forum I read a question concerning being mindful of body (or feeling or mind or Dhamma) alone can fulfill the mindfulness enlightenment factor and subsequently the other 6 enlightenment factors, which can bring clear knowing & release to their culmination, then why we need to practice all the 4 mindfulness ["This is how the four frames of reference are developed & pursued so as to bring the seven factors for awakening to their culmination" - MN 118]. The phrasing (or translation?) of MN 118 about this part is indeed a bit confusing. But I believe we definitely need to develop all the 4 mindfulness instead of only one, as mentioned above.

Surely one has to be mindful of every object that makes an appearance. Being mindful of only some frames of references means that many objects will be missed. Such degree of mindfulness surely lacks power to adequately train the mind. Besides one doesn't get to "choose" what comes up.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
pegembara

Previous

Return to Insight Meditation