Kombucha

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Jechbi

Kombucha

Post by Jechbi »

Hi all,

I like Kombucha Tea, mostly for its health benefits. But ... it can have a trace of alcohol (just as orange juice can). In addition, the scoby that gives Kombucha Tea its interesting properties is essentially a colony of living beings, and when I drink them, they probably all die.

So there are two potential precept pitfalls: Alcohol consumption, and killing. Anyone have any thoughts about this? My feeling is that the incidental alcohol content in things like orange juice is not something we need to consider in keeping the precept regarding alcohol consumption, and the bacterial and yeast beings do not need to be fastidiously saved in keeping the precept regarding killing.

Anyone else drink the stuff?
:toast:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Kombucha

Post by DNS »

Jechbi wrote: So there are two potential precept pitfalls: Alcohol consumption, and killing. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
I don't drink it, I'm a jasmine and green tea guy. :smile:

But I don't think there is anything wrong with kombucha. The alcohol is incidental and the "life" forms in it are from the bacterium, fungi kingdoms, not the Animal Kingdom. I would not eat anything from the Animal Kingdom, but after that, anything goes. :tongue: