Uncertain Minds: How the West Misunderstands Buddhism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Rui Sousa

Re: Uncertain Minds: How the West Misunderstands Buddhism

Post by Rui Sousa »

danieLion wrote:
Rui Sousa wrote:In your opinion the nervous cells between the ear and the brain are part of the sense-door (rupa), or are they a support of feeling(nama)? Is the electrical signal created by the change of ions on the neuron cell walls nama or rupa?
Hi Rui Sousa,
Perhaps if you rephrase the question to expand beyond the confines of the "either/or" form I could answer you better. As is, tit seems the only skilful thing for me to do is set it aside. I suspect the analytical form would be better, but that's just my hunch.
Kind regards,
Daniel
Analytical is better. But taken my lack of uderstanding I was trying to obtain some conceptual input that would help my analysis efforts.

Please don't take my questions the wrong way, I was not trying to capture in any logical trap, as the either/or formula, I was just trying to make a question that would address my problems with understanding this issue.

But I guess we have gone very off topic as it is, so maybe another thread would be better to continue the debate.
With Metta
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

Watching the OP video reminds me that what we call "Buddhism" is just an illusion. There are actually so many different religions, secular philosophies, and yogic practices that outwardly might keep the same statue around, some may not, but there is no real unity here.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

suttametta wrote:Watching the OP video reminds me that what we call "Buddhism" is just an illusion. There are actually so many different religions, secular philosophies, and yogic practices that outwardly might keep the same statue around, some may not, but there is no real unity here.
Hi, suttametta,
I think 'illusion' is too strong a word, too big a rejection. Really, it's fuzzy - if you go looking for where Buddhism stops and something else starts, you find that there is no clear dividing line. But if you look at the middle of that fuzzy ball of concepts and traditions, you still have Buddhism.

:thinking:
Kim