A question re sankhara-khandha & vedana-khandha

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
manas

A question re sankhara-khandha & vedana-khandha

Postby manas » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi all,

memories that arise in the mind, memories of long ago: these are classified under sankhara-khanda, yes?

Here is where I'm a bit confused. A memory arises, which is a 'formation', a 'mental fashioning'. But I can have either a pleasant feeling associated with that memory, or a painful feeling, or a neutral feeling. So - the memory itself is sankhara, but the feeling(s) that come up alongside it are vedana, yes?

For example, we might remember being a child, walking in the yard of our home. Recollecting that, there is a happy feeling. The memory and the happy feeling seem to arise together, but they are actually separate things, are they not?

kind regards,

manas. :anjali:

Alex123

Re: A question re sankhara-khandha & vedana-khandha

Postby Alex123 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Hello Manas,

1) All 4 mental aggregates arise together. You can't have one mental aggregate arise without the others.

2) If I am not mistaken, memory as just memory, is mostly saññā khandha.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:30 am

Hi Manas,

manas wrote:For example, we might remember being a child, walking in the yard of our home. Recollecting that, there is a happy feeling.

In such a case, feeling arises due to the contact (phassa) on the sixth sense door, intellect (mano).

Best wishes, Dmytro

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Vedana, sanna and vinnana khandhas are "passive". Sanna is perception ie. a knowing which is a form of memory. These 3 are in a way not under volitional formations which is "active" as in having an intention. The 1st try is happening to us while sankhara is a doing as in thinking of the past.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

manas

Postby manas » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. I can see that I have to now go and study much more.

manas :anjali:

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi all,

Could it not be 'dhamma' at the mind door?

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Return to “Theravada Meditation”