Should I take wine casserole?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Should I take wine casserole?

Postby dhammapal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:12 am

Hi,

I live with my non-Buddhist parents and Dad includes wine and port in his recipe when making a casserole. He claims that because it is not a pressure cooker the alcohol all evaporates and escapes. He teases me that there is alcohol in bread.

I've heard that Buddhism teaches to eat what you are offered (although monks don't have to eat what is put into their bowls). Do you think I should take the wine casserole? If I refuse my parents might say I should move out. I am fasting for Uposatha Full Moon tonight (which they respect) so I have 24 hours to decide.

Thanks / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Re: Should I take wine casserole?

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:27 am

Greetings Dhammapal,

I sometimes use wine in cooking but I usually simmer the sauce for a while until the alcohol content evaporates out. However, with you indicating an unspoken threat to move out if you don't eat the casserole, maybe there is more that is going on with your domestic situation. Maybe you should look at the dynamic between yourself and your parents honestly and look at what role (if any) you have played that has resulted in the "eat my casserole or move out" ultimatum. Self-respect and mutual respect are fundamental building blocks of a healthy family relationship. Perhaps the situation is telling you that it is time for you to move out regardless of the casserole and either live on your own or in share-accommodation with friends.
I wish you all the very best, Dhammapal.
with metta,

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby manas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:29 am

dhammapal wrote: If I refuse my parents might say I should move out.

Dhammapal,

I know alot of parents, some better than others, but none that would ask their child to move out over their refusal to partake in a particular dish. I seriously doubt that yours would, either.

Regarding the wine content, I'd say it would be extremely low, not enough to even make you slightly tipsy. But, what concerns me more is if you are respected enough in this situation. For example, if your parents wanted to, it would be really easy to de-alcoholize the wine before use, with no adverse effects on the flavour of the dish. Otherwise, it would be the equivalent of asking a devout Jewish child eat something with 'just a tiny tiny bit of bacon' in it. It would be a bit insensitive, no?

:anjali:
Primum non nocere: "first, do no harm."
manas

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:18 am

hi,
in all likelihood the alcohol content would of been cooked off.
the use of Alcoholic drinks as a flavouring is a non-offence clause in the corresponding Vinaya rule, so I wouldnt worry about it too much, unless you believe it hasn't been evaporated during the cooking process.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Aloka » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:40 am

Hi dhammapal

I don't put wine in cooking myself, but I've never heard of or seen anyone getting drunk from eating casserole.

kind regards

Aloka
Aloka

Postby dhammapal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the casserole container after cooking and the line made by the initial content had fallen by about a centimetre due to evaporation.

One solution is for me to just have vegetarian i.e. a tin of baked beans, which isn't any extra work. I mostly have vegetarian meals when my parents are overseas.

Thanks for listening / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness