Should I take wine casserole?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
dhammapal

Should I take wine casserole?

Post by dhammapal »

Hi,

I live with my non-Buddhist parents and Dad includes wine and port in his recipe when making a casserole. He claims that because it is not a pressure cooker the alcohol all evaporates and escapes. He teases me that there is alcohol in bread.

I've heard that Buddhism teaches to eat what you are offered (although monks don't have to eat what is put into their bowls). Do you think I should take the wine casserole? If I refuse my parents might say I should move out. I am fasting for Uposatha Full Moon tonight (which they respect) so I have 24 hours to decide.

Thanks / dhammapal.
Ben

Re: Should I take wine casserole?

Post by Ben »

Greetings Dhammapal,

I sometimes use wine in cooking but I usually simmer the sauce for a while until the alcohol content evaporates out. However, with you indicating an unspoken threat to move out if you don't eat the casserole, maybe there is more that is going on with your domestic situation. Maybe you should look at the dynamic between yourself and your parents honestly and look at what role (if any) you have played that has resulted in the "eat my casserole or move out" ultimatum. Self-respect and mutual respect are fundamental building blocks of a healthy family relationship. Perhaps the situation is telling you that it is time for you to move out regardless of the casserole and either live on your own or in share-accommodation with friends.
I wish you all the very best, Dhammapal.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
manas

Post by manas »

dhammapal wrote: If I refuse my parents might say I should move out.
Dhammapal,

I know alot of parents, some better than others, but none that would ask their child to move out over their refusal to partake in a particular dish. I seriously doubt that yours would, either.

Regarding the wine content, I'd say it would be extremely low, not enough to even make you slightly tipsy. But, what concerns me more is if you are respected enough in this situation. For example, if your parents wanted to, it would be really easy to de-alcoholize the wine before use, with no adverse effects on the flavour of the dish. Otherwise, it would be the equivalent of asking a devout Jewish child eat something with 'just a tiny tiny bit of bacon' in it. It would be a bit insensitive, no?

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi,
in all likelihood the alcohol content would of been cooked off.
the use of Alcoholic drinks as a flavouring is a non-offence clause in the corresponding Vinaya rule, so I wouldnt worry about it too much, unless you believe it hasn't been evaporated during the cooking process.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi dhammapal

I don't put wine in cooking myself, but I've never heard of or seen anyone getting drunk from eating casserole.

kind regards

Aloka
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the casserole container after cooking and the line made by the initial content had fallen by about a centimetre due to evaporation.

One solution is for me to just have vegetarian i.e. a tin of baked beans, which isn't any extra work. I mostly have vegetarian meals when my parents are overseas.

Thanks for listening / dhammapal.