Recommended reading

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Nyana

Re: Recommended reading

Post by Nyana »

cooran wrote:Maybe be careful?

Windows blocked my computer from making a ''risky connection'' to the link for:
Reinterpreting the Jhānas, by Roderick S. Bucknell
The link goes to a page on Scribd. I had no problem going to the page, and have never had any difficulties with the Scribd website.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Ñāṇa wrote: The link goes to a page on Scribd. I had no problem going to the page, and have never had any difficulties with the Scribd website.
Ditto

P.S.
Buddhist Meditation: An anthology of texts from the Pali canon by Sarah Shaw
bodom

Post by bodom »

Excellent Travis thank you ive been meaning to read this and didnt realize it was available online.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Contemporary Buddhism
An Interdisciplinary Journal - May 2011 © Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group

Special Issue: Mindfulness: diverse perspectives on its meaning, origins, and multiple applications at the intersection of science and dharma:

Mindfulness: Diverse Perspectives on its Meaning, Origins, and Multiple Applications at the Intersection of Science and Dharma by J. Mark G. Willliams and Jon Kabat-Zinn

What Does Mindfulness Really Mean? A Canonical Perspective by Bhikkhu Bodhi

Is Mindfulness Present-Centered and Non-Judgmental? A Discussion of the Cognitive Dimensions of Mindfulness by George Dreyfus

The Construction of Mindfulness by Andrew Olendzki

Toward an Understanding of Non-Dual Mindfulness by John Dunne

How does Mindfulness Transform Suffering? I: The Nature and Origins of Dukkha by John D. Teasdale and Michael Chaskalson

How does Mindfulness Transform Suffering? II: The Nature and Origins of Dukkha by John D. Teasdale and Michael Chaskalson

Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy: Culture clash or Creative Fusion? by Melanie Fennell & Zindel Segal

Compassion in the Landscape of Suffering by Cristina Feldman and Willem Kuyken

Meditation and Mindfulness by Martine Batchlor

The Buddhist Roots of Mindfulness Training: A Practitioners View by Edel Maex

Mindfulness and Loving-Kindness by Sharon Salzberg

Mindfulness in Higher Education by Mirabai Bush

‘Enjoy Your Death’: Leadership Lessons Forged in the Crucible of Organizational Death and Rebirth Infused with Mindfulness and Mastery by Saki F. Santorelli

Mindfulness by Any Other Name…: Trials and Tribulations of Sati in Western Psychology and Science by Paul Grossmann and Nicholas T. Van Dam

Measuring Mindfulness by Ruth A. Baer

On Some Definitions of Mindfulness by Rupert Gethin

Some Reflections on the Origins of MBSR, Skillful Means, and the Trouble with Maps by Jon Kabat-Zinn
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

The Sutta on Understanding Death in the Transmission of Borān Meditation from Siam to the Kandyan Court

Kate Crosby ◦ Andrew Skilton ◦ Amal Gunasena

Journal of Indian Philosophy, 40: pp. 177 – 198, © Springer 2012

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

The Origin of Insight Meditation, by L.S. Cousins

Edit: rerouted link
Last edited by ancientbuddhism on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Handful of Leaves
Javi

Post by Javi »

Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

bodom wrote:The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: Satipatthna : A Handbook of Mental Training Based on the Buddha's Way of Mindfulness, With an Anthology of Relevant Texts Translated from the Pali by Nyanaponika
I found this book is also available online for free in google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=UaIuXn ... e&q&f=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no mike

Post by no mike »

Here you'll find a list of awesome Thai forest tradition books; with writings, translations, and commentaries by Ajaan Dick Silaratano.

http://www.forestdhamma.org/books/english/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can order hard copies, or download pdf, epub, or mobi files, or audio files.
User156079

Post by User156079 »

I recomend reading Tyranny of Words by Stuart Chase. It deals with communication, abstract/conceptual thinking and general semantics i think it is no less than extremely helpful for understanding the Dhamma.
https://tzmvirginia.files.wordpress.com ... k-scan.pdf