God Particle

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

God Particle

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Re: God Particle

Post by Ben »

314028_10150907571818372_1954793249_n.jpg
314028_10150907571818372_1954793249_n.jpg (106.13 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:D Nice comics.

On a more serious note, why call it the 'God particle' ? It is a new sub-atomic particle that is found and it is the underlying sub-atomic particle that provides mass? Did I say that correctly? If this is true, it is hardly a being, but just the part that provides mass. Perhaps one of our scientists here can put this in lay terms.
David2

Post by David2 »

David N. Snyder wrote: On a more serious note, why call it the 'God particle' ?
IT'S been called the "God particle". But the Higgs boson has nothing to do with a deity.

The new subatomic particle discovered at CERN is certainly consistent with the elusive Higgs boson, and further work should confirm whether it is indeed the entity that fits into the Standard Model of physics.

We can thank the Nobel prize-winning physicist Leon Lederman, and his 1993 popular science book, for the catchy nickname.

He wanted to put the Higgs particle at the heart of modern theoretical physics as something that could explain why matter has mass and why, therefore, it comes together to form atoms, molecules, planets and people.

He also pointed out that his publishers rejected his preferred title of "Goddamn particle" (in recognition of its elusiveness) in favour of "God particle".

Peter Higgs has always despised the term, but it stuck.
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/sc ... 59307.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

He also pointed out that his publishers rejected his preferred title of "Goddamn particle" (in recognition of its elusiveness) in favour of "God particle".
Peter Higgs has always despised the term, but it stuck.
I guess most people want "something"; that is, since science can't give them an anthropomorphic-god, then they want at least some underlying pantheistic (non-personal) force.

:jedi:

But in the final analysis I am sure it will be noted that it's just a sub-atomic particle.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

He wanted to put the Higgs particle at the heart of modern theoretical physics as something that could explain why matter has mass and why, therefore, it comes together to form atoms, molecules, planets and people.
I think it should better be called the "Fat Particle". :group:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

IMHO the reason it is called God-particle might mean to replace the idea of "God creating Universe" with scientific and materialistic explanation of how universe appears. We know more and more about how universe began and there is less and less space for God or "God of the gaps" argument.
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Thanks for making this post, tilt. I've been wondering about this discovery. I like Alex's possible explanation of why it's called the "God particle". Makes sense to me.

That image was pretty funny, Ben... :rofl:
With mettā,

TG
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

theravada_guy wrote:... I like Alex's possible explanation of why it's called the "God particle". Makes sense to me.
Hi, theravada guy,
It might make sense but it is wrong - factually incorrect. See David2's post above.

:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
theravada_guy wrote:... I like Alex's possible explanation of why it's called the "God particle". Makes sense to me.
Hi, theravada guy,
It might make sense but it is wrong - factually incorrect. See David2's post above.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim...Shoosh!
Don't go spoiling a good story with some facts!
We all know what happened to Galileo, don't we?
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Kim,

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm very scientifically inept (I think that's the right word?). A lot of it is over my head. I didn't do very well in science and math classes in school.
With mettā,

TG
Ben

Post by Ben »

A Higgs Boson walks into a church.
"We don't allow Higgs Bosons in here!", shouted the priest.
The particle asks "But without me, how can you have mass?"

-- Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

alan

Post by alan »

Ha!
This was major news, but didn't stick. Maybe because it seems too "dense". Most people are just not tuned into science, which is a shame, in my view. Science teaches us to analyze, and think rationally. You don't have to be good at math to love science--and the new frontiers of science open up many possibilities for philosophical thought, if you're just willing to listen, and pay attention.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

This BBC article was good:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18702455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Especially the video of Peter Higgs becoming almost teary eyed.

This is one of the best explanations I've seen of the Higgs Boson:
http://technabob.com/blog/2012/07/05/hi ... explained/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike