The Three Precepts

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
User avatar
yawares
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

The Three Precepts

Postby yawares » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Dear Members,

:candle: The Three Precepts :candle:
[Presented by Dr.Tep Sastri @ SariputtaDhamma Group/JTN/Mult]


The term 'sikkha' is sometimes rendered as "precepts".

[Excerpts from Ankuttara Nikaya Tikanipata, 9. Samanavagga. Practice of a Recluse:]

10. Dutiyasikkhattayasuttam The second explanation of the precepts.

91 Bhikkhus, these three are the precepts. What three?

Training in higher virtues, training the mind to a higher degree and training for the higher wisdom.

Bhikkhus, these three are the activities of a recluse.

..............

Energetic, to practise the higher virtues, to raise the mind to a higher level,
And for higher wisdom, he becomes steadfast with controlled mental faculties
To attain immeasurable concentration in the face, behind the back,
Beneath and above, as far as the directions, day and night.

Thaamavaa dhitimaa jhaayii, sato guttindriyo care.
Yathaa pure tathaa pacchaa, yathaa pacchaa tathaa pure;
Yathaa adho tathaa uddhaṃ, yathaa uddhaṃ tathaa adho.
Yathaa divaa tathaa rattim., yathaa rattim. tathaa divaa;

..............

This is the trainer's method, and the best method
This same was followed by the Enlightened Ones in the world.
With the cessation of consciousness, there is destruction of craving and release
With the light of emancipation is the release of mind.

Abhibhuyya disaa sabbaa, appamaan.asamaadhinaa.
Tamaahu sekham. pat.ipadam atho sam.suddhacaariyam.
Tamaahu loke sambuddham., dhiiram. pat.ipadantagum..
Vi~n~naan.assa nirodhena, tan.haakkhayavimuttino;
Pajjotasseva nibbaanam., vimokkho hoti cetaso''ti. dasamam.

..............
Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart:

User avatar
gavesako
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: England

Re: The Three Precepts

Postby gavesako » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks for the nice quote. Usually "sikkha" is translated as "training" and the word precept is used in the context of morality (5 or 8 precepts).
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts

User avatar
yawares
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: The Three Precepts

Postby yawares » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:53 pm

gavesako wrote:Thanks for the nice quote. Usually "sikkha" is translated as "training" and the word precept is used in the context of morality (5 or 8 precepts).

Dear Bhikkhu Gavesako,

Love to see your comment :candle:
yawares

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: The Three Precepts

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:21 pm

I was looking forward to the Ovada patimokkhagatha then :tongue:
nice surprise though :thumbsup:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

User avatar
yawares
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: The Three Precepts

Postby yawares » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Cittasanto wrote:I was looking forward to the Ovada patimokkhagatha then :tongue:
nice surprise though :thumbsup:

Dear Cittasanto,
I think Thai temples' monks chant 'Ovada patimokkhagatha' on Makhapuja Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IjfNVJl ... re=related

Thanks for your comment :tongue: :candle:
yawares

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: The Three Precepts

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:35 pm

yawares wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:I was looking forward to the Ovada patimokkhagatha then :tongue:
nice surprise though :thumbsup:

Dear Cittasanto,
I think Thai temples' monks chant 'Ovada patimokkhagatha' on Makhapuja Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IjfNVJl ... re=related

Thanks for your comment :tongue: :candle:
yawares

I can not remember which day it is traditionally chanted, but some monasteries chant it after the Patimokkha :-)

Edit - just looked and yes it was Magha Puja
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

User avatar
yawares
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: The Three Precepts

Postby yawares » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:24 am

Cittasanto wrote:
yawares wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:I was looking forward to the Ovada patimokkhagatha then :tongue:
nice surprise though :thumbsup:

Dear Cittasanto,
I think Thai temples' monks chant 'Ovada patimokkhagatha' on Makhapuja Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IjfNVJl ... re=related

Thanks for your comment :tongue: :candle:
yawares

I can not remember which day it is traditionally chanted, but some monasteries chant it after the Patimokkha :-)

Edit - just looked and yes it was Magha Puja

Dear Cittasanto,
Is it possible to add tiny flowers to the tiny cartoons icons on the right...??? I saw beautiful roses emoticons at yahoo email.

Ask too much? :jumping:
yawares


Return to “Ethical Conduct”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests