YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Buddhism as a "rational" religion. - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Buddhism as a "rational" religion.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kenshou

Re: Buddhism as a "rational" religion.

Postby Kenshou » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:41 am

Way~Farer

Postby Way~Farer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:51 am

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:55 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Way~Farer

Postby Way~Farer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:39 pm

Yes - but who is counting? :tongue:

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:55 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Way~Farer

Postby Way~Farer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:49 am

Right! And science is actually a human activity, which uses human concepts, based on such units of measure as 'a year' which is 'the time taken by the Earth to orbit the Sun' and so on.

The idea that 'reality is what is really "out there" and we are simply incidental blips in time and space' is a part of this outlook.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:19 am

Way~Farer

Postby Way~Farer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:36 am

Well, indeed. Another thing that interests me is that Vedic cosmology - not exclusively Buddhist in nature - believes that the Universe exists in cycles of expansion and contraction that occupy 'aeons of kalpas' - which are time periods that are truly astronomical in conception. In saying that, I acknowledge that mythological cosmologies are not literally true, a fact which I think Buddhists in contemporary society need to acknowledge also (and often do, see for instance and ).

But at the same time, scientists themselves are subject to historical influences and notions of what is likely to constitute a worthwhile avenue of investigation, or what constitutes a valid view of the world, and so on.

This current discovery of the Higgs is predicated upon something called 'sigma levels' of certainty, for instance. This determines the likelihood of the finding being due to statistical fluctuation or being a genuine discovery. But in the field of parapsychology, the standards of evidence that researchers are held to are far higher than they are in fields such as physics (and even epidemiology). And why? Because parapsychology is deemed to be 'making an extraordinary claim, and 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence'. But this overlooks the fact that deeming parapsychology 'extraordinary' is a value-judgement in the first place, based on the fact that such phenomena seem to undermine the physicalist view of nature.

nowheat

Postby nowheat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:18 pm

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Take a look around at some of the buddhist bulletin boards. Buddhism is no more "rational" than any other religion and probably wont be until they start making more "rational" humans.

"Rational" seems to be almost a dogma of its own and attachment to the idea is a stumbling block.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

Way~Farer

Postby Way~Farer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:53 pm

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:07 am

Way~Farer

Postby Way~Farer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:25 am

Yeah I see your point. I think Russell intended a kind of irony in saying that, by deliberately juxtaposing the ideas of a meaningless material universe with the traditional notion of 'soul'.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:33 am

Way~Farer

Postby Way~Farer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 am

And I disagree with him. But I spent two and a half years arguing against materialism on Philosophy Forum so I had better not reopen that particular can of worms :smile: .

//EDIT// Rather like the look of .
Last edited by Way~Farer on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:39 am

Way~Farer

Postby Way~Farer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:14 am

I sympathize, but I think what you're proposing is based on a false dichotomy arising from a dualist view of 'mind' and 'matter' as separate substances. I don't think Buddhist philosophy supports a view of that kind. Furthermore, as far as the reality of matter is concerned, science itself has shown that the nature of so-called 'fundamental particles' cannot be conceived of in the terms in which we ordinary understand the idea of matter. As we know, there has been a recent breakthrough regarding the possible existence of a truly fundamental particle. However part of this model also implies a universal 'field'. Quite what 'a field' is, and whether it is, or can be understood, in wholly material terms, is, I think, very much an open question at this point in time.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:13 pm

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,