When the Buddha is asked to expound his teachings

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
twelph

When the Buddha is asked to expound his teachings

Post by twelph »

I am very loosely paraphrasing from an audio lecture that I remember vaguely, but the passage that was quoted has meant a lot to me in my practice. The Buddha is approached by a person from another school seeking to compare his master's teachings with the Buddha's. When this person asks the Buddha to expound his teachings, the Tathāgata replies with something along the lines of: "What I teach does not come in conflict with any other teaching". Does anyone know exactly which story this comes from so I can possibly study it more?

This story and the Atthaka Vagga have had a great impact on me, so I would like to ask a question about it. Does this fall under Right View in some way? I know that Right View is normally reserved for the Four Noble Truths, but I was wondering if these important texts fit into the Eightfold Path somehow.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: When the Buddha is asked to expound his teachings

Post by Sam Vara »

Try Samyutta Nikaya 22.94:
"I do not dispute with the world, bhikkhus. The world disputes with me. A proclaimer of Dhamma does not dispute with anyone in the world. What is not believed by the wise in the world, of that I say 'It is not so.' What is believed by the wise in the world, of that I say 'It is so.'
twelph

Post by twelph »

Sam Vega wrote:Try Samyutta Nikaya 22.94:
"I do not dispute with the world, bhikkhus. The world disputes with me. A proclaimer of Dhamma does not dispute with anyone in the world. What is not believed by the wise in the world, of that I say 'It is not so.' What is believed by the wise in the world, of that I say 'It is so.'

Thanks, this is kind of relevant but not quite there. I remember that after the Buddha answered the person's question, all the guy did was make several faces at the Buddha and then leave.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

twelph wrote:all the guy did was make several faces at the Buddha and then leave.
Possibly:
MN 18 wrote:"Friend, I assert and proclaim [my teaching] in such a way that one does not quarrel with anyone in the world with its gods, its Māras, and its Brahmās, in this generation with its recluses and brahmins, its princes and its people; in such a way that perceptions no more underlie that brahmin who abides detached from sensual pleasures, without perplexity, shorn of worry, free from craving for any kind of being."

When this was said, Daṇḍapāni the Sakyan shook his head, wagged his tongue, and raised his eyebrows until his forehead was puckered in three lines. Then he departed, leaning on his stick.
It's the Honeyball Sutta - savor it!
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
manas

Post by manas »

I pity those unfortunate persons who, when face to face with a Samma-Sambuddha, were unable to take advantage of this incredibly rare opportunity due to stubbornness, lack of vision, or whatever, shaking their heads and walking off. Never mind the opportunity of a lifetime - they missed out on the opportunity of an Aeon! But it does make for entertaining reading.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
twelph

Post by twelph »

daverupa wrote:
twelph wrote:all the guy did was make several faces at the Buddha and then leave.
Possibly:
MN 18 wrote:"Friend, I assert and proclaim [my teaching] in such a way that one does not quarrel with anyone in the world with its gods, its Māras, and its Brahmās, in this generation with its recluses and brahmins, its princes and its people; in such a way that perceptions no more underlie that brahmin who abides detached from sensual pleasures, without perplexity, shorn of worry, free from craving for any kind of being."

When this was said, Daṇḍapāni the Sakyan shook his head, wagged his tongue, and raised his eyebrows until his forehead was puckered in three lines. Then he departed, leaning on his stick.
It's the Honeyball Sutta - savor it!
Thanks! This would be it. I actually found the audio lecture in which James Baraz rephrases it afterwards saying "I give a teaching that doesn't quarrel with anyone". This actually changes the meaning of the passage in a significant way for me, though I'm not sure if it should :( .