Uposatha -- How do you observe precepts 7 and 8?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Individual

Re: Uposatha -- How do you observe precepts 7 and 8?

Post by Individual »

TheDhamma wrote:
Individual wrote: No television? You use the internet, though. Do you never casually surf the net?
When I watch television, it is almost entirely the news or news type shows or documentaries.
Do you watch Nancy Grace, Keith Olbermann, or Mythbusters? Entertainment has a different meaning from person-to-person. That something is informative or educational does not make it any less entertainment. Buddhist monks, for instance, are still forbidden from playing chess, despite the fact that it is mentally-challenging, because it is a game nonetheless. Even discussing Buddhism can be a form of entertainment.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Individual wrote:
TheDhamma wrote: Do you watch Nancy Grace, Keith Olbermann, or Mythbusters? Entertainment has a different meaning from person-to-person. That something is informative or educational does not make it any less entertainment. Buddhist monks, for instance, are still forbidden from playing chess, despite the fact that it is mentally-challenging, because it is a game nonetheless. Even discussing Buddhism can be a form of entertainment.
Olbermann sometimes, but mostly just the real news, such as the Nightly News at 5:30 or 6:30 pm depending upon your time zone.

That is true, that some of the so-called news shows are more of entertainment than actual news, especially Olbermann, O'Reilly, Glen Beck, etc.

I think that discussing Dhamma, even if it is 'entertaining' is okay as it is a form of kalyana mitta and for spiritual progress and better understanding.

I mainly do not get too concerned about the strictness of the 8 precepts, because I mostly follow the 8 on almost every other day anyway. :tongue: For example, I almost always eat just one meal around noon, do not have a luxurious bed, and don't care for music or shows (on all days, not just Uposatha).

About the only thing I do different on Uposatha days is wear white, meditate a little more, and don't watch sports. I suppose those who are into the 'clubbing-scene' would call me pretty boring (on all days, not just Uposatha). :tongue:
ckatgo

Post by ckatgo »

Hello friends, first time poster here, although I feel I know alot of you from other boards. :anjali:

I tend to keep things simple on those days. I don't wear make up or perfume of any sorts, keep my clothes simple, no jewlery (sp?). My non buddhist hubby watches TV, on those days I usually read dhamma books or make sure he has the remote, so I don't choose shows or what is on the TV, don't listen to music or read magazines. I sleep in my regular bed, now what I sleep on is simple to begin with so I don't see an issue with that one. I try to keep my eating simple on that day as well.

Metta,
Kat
DhammaDan

Post by DhammaDan »

I gotta say, the 6th is the most difficult for me. The funny thing is I don't normally eat a lot, but my usual meals take place in the evening rather than one or two in the morning.

I have a specific question too regarding the 7th...I'm a bit confused about the concept of not breaking sila if so and so requests something, and in such and such case you may listen without breaking the sila. Anyhow...I take a guitar class and have my final on an uposatha observance. If I were to go and play guitar for my teacher, on the grounds that it is a necessary activity that he requested of me, would I be breaking the sila? I guess I'm asking if this situation may be an excuse for not breaking it.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Dan,
DhammaDan wrote:Anyhow...I take a guitar class and have my final on an uposatha observance. If I were to go and play guitar for my teacher, on the grounds that it is a necessary activity that he requested of me, would I be breaking the sila? I guess I'm asking if this situation may be an excuse for not breaking it.
A couple of other solutions include not taking that particular precept on the day, or shifting your observance day backwards or forwards a day. I've seen different full-moon calendars so don't think it's an exact science... and day either side isn't going to hurt.

In fact, last Uposatha Day I had to ditch the whole thing because I had a lot of heavy physical work to do and the eating regime just wasn't practical, and I knew I would have no time to formally meditate... so what I did instead was to ensure that I did a mighty fine job of following the five precepts.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DhammaDan

Post by DhammaDan »

That's probably the best idea. =p

I also heard that in case it is breached, you can always retake the sila and makeup the lost time. I mean, any way I'm fine with the situation. Just wanted to clear up the details.