Opinions about movies

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
floating_abu

Opinions about movies

Post by floating_abu »

Any movies you've watched recently, today, a few years ago that you want to comment about? :woohoo:
bodom

Re: Opinions about movies

Post by bodom »

An awesome movie i just seen the other day was The Machinist with christian bale. Its amazing how much weight he lost for that role. Ubelievable! I sure hope he won an award for that. It has a good moral message to it. Highly recommended!

Warning spoiler!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machinist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Floating_abu,

Not exactly what you asked, but I have really been struck by the fact that the number of movies I watch has decreased in proportion to my practice. I used to watch anywhere from one to five DVDs a week and go to the theater about once a month. Now, it's probably been two-plus months since I put on a DVD and I've only been to the theater once that I can remember this year.

My wife purchased the latest Batman movie for me for Christmas and I just have no interest in watching it. Too much senseless (and well-acted) violence. What's telling is that this "sensitivity" is 180-out for how I was before.

To at least answer your question, the one movie I've seen this year is the latest Star Trek and it did not disappoint.

Live long and prosper: AdvaitaJ :D
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

I can't even remember the last movie I watched, it's been so long ago.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
zavk

Post by zavk »

I love movies.

For me, movies can be a great medium for reflection--with the right mental attitude of course.

Bodom: Hey... I was just thinking about The Machinist this morning! I haven't seen it but was reminded of it because I watched the new Terminator flick two nights ago and was very disappointed with Christian Bale's performance.

I've watched a number of action flicks recently--have been busy with work and so I have been winding down with this type of entertainment. Star Trek was entertaining, and having grown up with Transformers cartoons in the 80s I'm really looking forward to the upcoming film. Oh I did watch Breakfast at Pluto on TV recently, an Irish film with Cillian Murphy playing a transgendered orphan. Lovely film.

With metta,
zavk