Bhikkhu with his "nimitta"

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Bhikkhu with his "nimitta"

Postby yawares » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Dear Members,

I would like to thank Bhikkhu Gavesako for giving me : http://www.blisteredfeet-blissfulmind.net/ ....... :heart: love it!!
But after I finished reading the story of Bhikkhu Sucitto...then I lost the link..when I clicked it again...nothing on??

After reading "Pioneer of Tudong" by Bhikkhu Sucitto in Britain..kind of Tudong, British monk style...I like it pretty much. Then I remember a story of a Thai forest monk who loved to do meditation and he could sit and meditate for a long time without any movement that won respect from all monks at the temple.

One night while he was meditating, he saw the moon coming down from the sky and floated in front of him. He was so happy to see beautiful moon so close, he was reaching out his hands to touch the moon but it was floating away slowly. He stood up and followed the moon out of his kuti(bangalow)..still reaching out trying to catch the moon.
Then he felt someone touching his shoulder asking if he was sleepwalking?? That was when he realized that his vision was playing with his mind.

Almost every monk in that temple came to listen to his "MOON VISION" story.

:candle: cute story??
yawares
yawares

Re: Bhikkhu with his "nimitta"

Postby gavesako » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:45 pm

Also Ajahn Buddhadasa writes about his early days of experimenting with meditation. He was sitting by the stream or by the pond and looking at the reflection of the sun in there, until he developed a "nimitta" of it in his mind and was able to play with it. That is why they refer to this meditation as "len nimit" in Thai (play with visions).
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Re: Bhikkhu with his "nimitta"

Postby yawares » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:16 pm

gavesako wrote:Also Ajahn Buddhadasa writes about his early days of experimenting with meditation. He was sitting by the stream or by the pond and looking at the reflection of the sun in there, until he developed a "nimitta" of it in his mind and was able to play with it. That is why they refer to this meditation as "len nimit" in Thai (play with visions).

Dear Bhikkhu Gavesako,
I think you probably know about Thera Somchai, Wat Khao Sukim, he is known as Deva of the East. He could vision the Buddha statue to be big/small on his shoulders/head/hands....Tep/I went to pay respect to him also, he let us and our chauffeur(compliment from Chula Univ.) to stay overnight in his super- beautiful vihara...and woke up with super gourmet temple-brunch in the morning...luxurious indeed!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLNzRDG4xCA

Love Thera Somchai :heart:
yawares :anjali:
yawares

Return to Dhammic Stories