What are you thinking while meditating?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bodom

Re: What are you thinking while meditating?

Post by bodom »

"Buddho"

Buddho
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=2552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
santa100

Post by santa100 »

There're different strategies for different stages of meditation. At the beginning, it's important to maintain applied thought(vitakka) and sustained thought(vicara) on the meditation object(ie. the in-out breath, buddho, mantra, etc.) because without them, the five hindrances of lust, aversion, sloth, restlessness, and doubt would overwhelm the meditator. With subsequent and more refine stages of concentration, one can let go of vitakka and vicara..
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

daverupa wrote:But this is absurd; so, of what benefit is this lack of thought, mentioned by so many?

Even the first jhana has thought...
Discursive thinking in meditation has a rather undeserved poor reputation. Such thought is an invariable element of meditation, regardless of method, and I don't think it's something which should be shunned. What I usually think about when trying to concentrate on my object are things immediately relevant to my life: things I've said, things that are going to happen, regrets, hopes, curiosities.. these can then be analyzed from a much more neutral emotional standpoint while meditating. The results of this rumination are useful, creative conclusions, solutions or ideas which I may not have had if I did not engage in a meditative practice.
Last edited by Viscid on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

As little as i can get by with, and lets not forget that aversion to thinking is just more thinking.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
bodom

Post by bodom »

This essay may be helpful in understanding the use of thinking in meditation:
Wise Reflection

The purpose of this essay is to explain the value of wise reflection, yoniso manasikara, and to encourage readers to use their own thought processes for the growth of wisdom in their formal meditation practice. The majority of experienced Buddhist meditators whom I have met during thirty years of meditation and eighteen years of teaching were unfamiliar with formal reflective meditation. By way of this essay I hope to correct this lack of understanding.

http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh463-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Things arises and passes away.

'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.'
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

reflection wrote: Thinking sucks.
It certainly makes my brain hurt. :jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

pegembara wrote:'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.'
Do you mean using this like a mantra, or just as a response to thoughts and feelings arising?
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Viscid wrote:Discursive thinking in meditation has a rather undeserved poor reputation.
There seem to be many different approaches to meditation.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

porpoise wrote:
Viscid wrote:Discursive thinking in meditation has a rather undeserved poor reputation.
There seem to be many different approaches to meditation.
All emphasise awareness.
torqz

Post by torqz »

Deleted post.
Last edited by torqz on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the triple gem bless bless you, may you quickly realize the 4 noble truths in this Gautama Buddhas dispensation... Sādhu! Sādhu! Sādhu!
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

PeDr0 wrote:... it seems to me that everyone thinks they are an expert at meditation but no two people can agree on the correct methods.
I think there is agreement that methods differ, serve different purposes, yield different effects, but all access the same experience.

A particular method is correct only for its specific purpose.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi PeDr0,
PeDr0 wrote:What about asubha bhavana meditation, I have been told that this is a very important meditation practice, that definately involves thought. As does the metta bhavana.
That's certainly true. Such practices certainly involve thinking and concepts.
PeDr0 wrote: Good question, it seems to me that everyone thinks they are an expert at meditation but no two people can agree on the correct methods.
This is partly because there are variety of methods, and the natural thing when one has learned a little is to think that one particular method is the only correct approach and/or all that is required.

Mike
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

dharmagoat wrote:A particular method is correct only for its specific purpose.
I agree, and it's good to be clear about what particular methods are for.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

daverupa wrote: But this is absurd; so, of what benefit is this lack of thought, mentioned by so many?
Possibly because insight is non-conceptual and thinking gets in the way?