Books Forum

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Books Forum

Postby twelph » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:43 pm

It seems like there are book suggestions for physical and online books scattered throughout all of the forums. I've been reading a lot lately, and searching through the forums to find suggestions is a little cumbersome. It seems like a book discussion forum would be a great resource.
twelph

Re: Books Forum

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:44 pm

"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby twelph » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks! I never thought to check out the personal experience subforum.
twelph

Postby Kamran » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:42 pm

There are so many freely available books in Theravada that the problem is deciding on which I should be reading first :)
When this concentration is thus developed, thus well developed by you, then wherever you go, you will go in comfort. Wherever you stand, you will stand in comfort. Wherever you sit, you will sit in comfort. Wherever you lie down, you will lie down in comfort.
Kamran

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:45 pm

You could use the two threads I linked above to narrow your choice. Furthermore, if you are still new to the path, you could have a look at the introductory resources thread in the discovering theravada forum.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:01 am

Greetings,

Kamran wrote:There are so many freely available books in Theravada that the problem is deciding on which I should be reading first :)

Ha, yeah... and even once you finish some there still so many more to go!...

It's good, isn't it?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Suggestion box