Too much information.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
questionasker

Too much information.

Post by questionasker »

Hello fellow Buddhist,

Buddhism has a lot of scriptures and different rules and opinions, lots of teacher with different points of view. Sooo much to the Buddhist ways.
Why so much?? If there is a truth, wouldn't it be something simple. I heard enlightenment is like a joke, once you realize its funny or something like that.

Anyway, i believe that the truth to eliminating suffering or complete happiness and enlightenment should be something simple, it makes more sense that way. It doesn't seem right to have to learn all these rules and techniques to become enlightened or reach our full potential.

What are your opinions on the simple way??
I would really appreciate any reply please!!
bodom

Re: Too much information.

Post by bodom »

From Ajahn Chah:
Do you know where it will end? Or will you just keep on studying like this? …Or is there an end to it? … That’s okay but it’s the external study, not the internal study. For the internal study you have to study these eyes, these ears, this nose, this tongue, this body and this mind. This is the real study. The study of books is just the external study, it’s really hard to get it finished.

When the eye sees form what sort of thing happens? When ear, nose and tongue experience sounds, smells and tastes, what takes place? When the body and mind come into contact with touches and mental states, what reactions take place ? Are there still greed, aversion and delusion there? Do we get lost in forms, sounds, smells, tastes, textures and moods? This is the internal study. It has a point of completion.

The rest of the short talk here...

http://buddhavacana.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Kare

Post by Kare »

:goodpost:

Ajahn Chah had deep wisdom.

But sometimes a certain amount of study is useful just to get rid of of the unnecessary complexities and realize how central to the Buddhas teaching this is.
Mettāya,
Kåre
santa100

Post by santa100 »

BuddhaDhamma is like medicine. There're different medicines because we uninstructed worldlings have so many illnesses..
manas

Post by manas »

Hi questionasker

sorry, had to edit ... upon reflection, I decided that my previous answer here was better left unsaid. I will just say that I empathize with your question.

with metta.
Last edited by manas on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

questionasker wrote:If there is a truth, wouldn't it be something simple.
The truth is really really simple. But the problem is, we humans are complicated, messy, stupid monkeys. So the truth has to be explained in a way that a monkey can understand. That's why it seems so complicated.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Other people's delusions tend to seem unnecessary and grotesque. But our own are very real and necessary. And it usually takes quite a bit of work to let them go or for them to let go of us.
_/|\_
robertk

Post by robertk »

questionasker wrote:Hello fellow Buddhist,

Buddhism has a lot of scriptures and different rules and opinions, lots of teacher with different points of view. Sooo much to the Buddhist ways.
Why so much?? If there is a truth, wouldn't it be something simple. I heard enlightenment is like a joke, once you realize its funny or something like that.

Anyway, i believe that the truth to eliminating suffering or complete happiness and enlightenment should be something simple, i
!!
We have been in samsara for uncountable aeons, more aeons than grains of sand in the oceans. If it was simple we would have been enlightened long ago.
A quote from the Buddha:
Deep, Vaccha, is this Dhamma, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise.
questionasker wrote:. It doesn't seem right to have to learn all these rules and techniques to become enlightened or reach our full potential.

!!
Rules (sila) and techniques are aspects of silabataparamasa and are types of worng practice. Until they are seen as wrong path they will keep one in samsara.
reflection

Post by reflection »

The truth may be simple, but as said, it's not easy to see. It's hard to get enlightened. That alone explains why there are so many opinions. If it was easy, everyone would agree and would just be having a cup of tea.

But the practice is simple, yet not so easy also. It's looking deep. What's the mind attached to? Let it go and become more peaceful, step by step. The mind goes deeper and there is finer stuff to let go of. Until the mind sees there is nothing. See it like this and there is no confusion anymore, the Buddha-Dhamma will be in your heart instead of in your intellect.

This is how I reflect.

With metta,
Reflection
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi questionasker,

Together with some sutta study, I like to have the uncluttered directness and simplicity of a teacher like Ajahn Sumedho to help me on the path.

My opinion is that since the time of the Buddha so long ago, study and practice has probably become unnecessarily complicated with the arising of "Buddhist traditions," different commentaries, and various interpretations of Dhamma. So I guess one has to try and find a way through all of that to what resonates as being a direct way to minimise dukkha and increase one's personal understanding and peace of mind.

with kind wishes

Aloka
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Aloka wrote: Together with some sutta study, I like to have the uncluttered directness and simplicity of a teacher...
This is very true. With a good teacher (there are many out there, don't think you need to find someone famous to have a good teachers...) and a good community it certainly comes across as a lot simpler and clearer.

:anjali:
Mike
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Buddhism's profundity lies in its ultimate simplicity.

From the mahāyāna point of view, once buddha-nature is revealed, all doctrine has served its purpose.
Durt_Dawg

Post by Durt_Dawg »

Buddhism doesn't have to be complicated, ya just have ta stick wid one GOOD teacher, one school, and study from da basics. You definetly gonna be confused if ya start looking at da theory of emptiness, mind only, and da deep theories first.

Start off by building up ya faith on da triple gem, cause, condition and effect, rebirth etc.

Right view homes right view!
Lets b fwendssss!!!!
Durt_Dawg

Post by Durt_Dawg »

dharmagoat wrote:Buddhism's profundity lies in its ultimate simplicity.

From the mahāyāna point of view, once buddha-nature is revealed, all doctrine has served its purpose.
Oh, just noticed ya from Kiwi Land.

Kia Ora bro!

Nek minute
Lets b fwendssss!!!!
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Durt_Dawg wrote:Oh, just noticed ya from Kiwi Land.

Kia Ora bro!

Nek minute
You's a funny guy, Dawg.