What are you thinking while meditating?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bodom

Re: What are you thinking while meditating?

Post by bodom »

porpoise wrote:
daverupa wrote: But this is absurd; so, of what benefit is this lack of thought, mentioned by so many?
Possibly because insight is non-conceptual and thinking gets in the way?
Thinking has gotten a bad rap, but the texts speak of three ways of developing wisdom, one of which is using conceptual thought. There is wisdom obtained from listening to others (suta-maya panna), wisdom obtained from one's own thinking (cinta-maya panna) and wisdom obtained by meditation (bhavana-maya panna).

Digha Nikaya #33: The Sangiti Sutta
http://levityisland.com/buddhadust/www. ... angiti.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
reflection

Post by reflection »

My main practice is breath awareness, there I practice stilling the thoughts.

But I must say I agree with those who said that contemplation can also be very useful. And of course metta/compassion and the like, practices with a bit of thought (although you can also do them without). But these are greatly aided by stilling thoughts, because unrelated thoughts won't come up as easily. Also, these practices with discursive thoughts are mainly aimed at removing unwholesome thoughts, at least for me.

Because to really understand the mind, in my experience it has to be able to be silent. That's because thoughts disturb the mind. It's not clear, it can't really see itself. The stiller it is, the closer it gets to itself. So it's twofold. The peace is needed for strength, but also for insight.

So it's all interrelated.

I think this video is useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqb7ZuMI8HY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

porpoise wrote:
pegembara wrote:'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.'
Do you mean using this like a mantra, or just as a response to thoughts and feelings arising?
I use it as a way of viewing objects (sounds, sensations, thoughts etc) arising and passing away. To do that you need a certain degree of stillness/samadhi.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

bodom wrote:Thinking has gotten a bad rap, but the texts speak of three ways of developing wisdom, one of which is using conceptual thought. There is wisdom obtained from listening to others (suta-maya panna), wisdom obtained from one's own thinking (cinta-maya panna) and wisdom obtained by meditation (bhavana-maya panna).
Do you see these as a progression, ie first hearing, then internalising, then directly experiencing?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

while i'm meditating i think "...is this jhana? which jhana is this...?" you know, stuff like that...

just kidding

Best,
Daniel
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

danieLion wrote:while i'm meditating i think "...is this jhana? which jhana is this...?" you know, stuff like that...
just kidding
Yes, now you come to mention it.... :jumping:
bodom

Post by bodom »

porpoise wrote:Do you see these as a progression, ie first hearing, then internalising, then directly experiencing?
This according to Goenka:
Sometimes we find in the texts a change in the order of suta-maya panna and cinta-maya panna. At times cinta-maya panna is mentioned first, followed by suta-maya panna and bhavana-maya panna. At times, suta-maya panna is followed by cinta-maya panna and bhavana-maya panna. But in both cases, bhavana-maya panna comes at the end and is of prime importance for the realisation of truth.

The rest of the article going into more detail found in this thread:

Experiential Wisdom: Bhavana-maya panna
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

bodom wrote:
porpoise wrote:Do you see these as a progression, ie first hearing, then internalising, then directly experiencing?
This according to Goenka:
Sometimes we find in the texts a change in the order of suta-maya panna and cinta-maya panna. At times cinta-maya panna is mentioned first, followed by suta-maya panna and bhavana-maya panna. At times, suta-maya panna is followed by cinta-maya panna and bhavana-maya panna. But in both cases, bhavana-maya panna comes at the end and is of prime importance for the realisation of truth.

Yes, I suppose in practice it's a circular activity - reading suttas, then thinking about them, then reading them again.