eyes open during meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Spiny Norman

Re: eyes open during meditation?

Post by Spiny Norman »

johnny wrote:
porpoise wrote:
johnny wrote:can you enter jhana with them open? i'm very curious about this.
I managed it on an intensive meditation retreat last year. But not since!
awesome! could you describe please?
There were the usual absorption factors like piti and sukha, then a strong experience of consciousness expanding - a bit like coming out of a dark tunnel into bright open space. I think having eyes open made it a different experience, but it's hard to be specific.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
johnny

Re: eyes open during meditation?

Post by johnny »

porpoise wrote:
There were the usual absorption factors like piti and sukha, then a strong experience of consciousness expanding - a bit like coming out of a dark tunnel into bright open space. I think having eyes open made it a different experience, but it's hard to be specific.
cool thank you.
The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five