Goenka Vipassana Retreats

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Re: Goenka Vipassana Retreats

Postby PeterB » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Moggalana wrote:Has anyone here also done a retreat with the people at IMC? It is also in the tradition of U Ba Khin, so it is probably not too different from Goenka's retreats, or is it?

I have attended a retreat at IMC's centre in Witshire UK. I think anyone familiar with the Goenka system will find IMC compatible.

:anjali:
PeterB

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi Moggalana and PeterB,

Moggalana wrote:Has anyone here also done a retreat with the people at IMC? It is also in the tradition of U Ba Khin, so it is probably not too different from Goenka's retreats, or is it?

Sayagi U Ba Khin was Goenkaji's teacher, and Goenkaji was an assistant teacher to U Ba Khin. When Burma nationalized its industrial sector in the late 1960s it expelled many of its ethnic Indians and Mr Goenka went to India and began teaching there. When U Ba Khin died in 1971, his successor in Burma was Mother Sayamagyi.
For all intents and purposes the ten-day course at IMC is almost identical to the ten-day course offered through the Goenka Vipassana Meditation Centres. The technique is virtually the same except the timetable is a little different.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Moggalana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:16 am

Thank you, Peter and Ben :)
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Postby YogaGirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:52 pm

I just found you all...I am going on my first 10 day beginning tomorrow in Minnesota. Thank you all for your support- every question that I had was answered here. I've taught Yoga for many years and dabbled in meditation-This for me is my next step on this journey...I've always pulled back...but as they say- "When the student is ready..."
Blessings to you all. :anjali:
YogaGirl

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:01 am

Good luck with it, YogaGirl.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Discovering Theravāda