Looking for ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
reflection

Looking for ordination

Post by reflection »

Dear friends,

In the coming year I will look for a place to ordain. Chances are I'll stick somewhere and be an anagarika and perhaps on to full ordination. I'm not quite sure where yet, but I'll travel round a bit to find the right place and teacher. This will probably be somewhere in the Thai Forest tradition, or perhaps Pa Auk's place or something like that, somewhere with an emphasis on samadhi.

I say this here because in the process I will already start to lessen my activity on this forum untill it comes to a full stop. This seems best for me, at least in the first years of training. Also I wanted to use this opportunity to say thanks for all I've learned here to everybody.

If anyone went through the same process and has some tips to share on whatever subject, feel free to do so.

:anjali:
With metta,
Reflection
David2

Re: Looking for ordination

Post by David2 »

Good luck to you with your wholesome intentions. :anjali:
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

If you're willing to travel out of the country, you should check out http://nauyana.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've heard wonderful things about it. Good luck Dhamma friend.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Good luck and hope you find a suitable place. Have you taken care of any final household issues and requirements, such as debts, etc?
reflection

Post by reflection »

Thank you everybody!

I will start to finish some household things already, like giving up my appartment, but I won't cut all ties until I'm 100% sure.
I also need to work a bit to afford the travelling, but that should all be possible within the next year, I hope.

Thanks Yoghurt, I will check out the possibilities to visit Sri Lanka a bit more. I've heard most of my countryfolks (what's the word again? Other Dutch people) who ordain in Therevadin tradition, are ordaining there.

But I must say I have not yet done a lot of research in the Pa Auk tradition. For now I'd preferably ordain with Ajahn Brahmavamso, but his monastery is full and there is a waiting list, or so I understood.

So I'll see. Thanks again.

Lotsa metta,
Reflection
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

reflection wrote:But I must say I have not yet done a lot of research in the Pa Auk tradition. For now I'd preferably ordain with Ajahn Brahmavamso, but his monastery is full and there is a waiting list, or so I understood.
Well, if you are interested in his style, here's a link to a concise overview of the method taught: http://www.paaukforestmonastery.org/boo ... aining.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Maybe that'll help you know if it's for you.

(Just because you mentioned him in the OP, not trying to proselytize!)

Either way, good luck with your search! Make sure to check out some other TFT monasteries in the UK/Europe, it's surprising how many there are.

Wish you the best.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

reflection wrote:Dear friends,

In the coming year I will look for a place to ordain. Chances are I'll stick somewhere and be an anagarika and perhaps on to full ordination. I'm not quite sure where yet, but I'll travel round a bit to find the right place and teacher. This will probably be somewhere in the Thai Forest tradition, or perhaps Pa Auk's place or something like that, somewhere with an emphasis on samadhi.

I say this here because in the process I will already start to lessen my activity on this forum untill it comes to a full stop. This seems best for me, at least in the first years of training. Also I wanted to use this opportunity to say thanks for all I've learned here to everybody.

If anyone went through the same process and has some tips to share on whatever subject, feel free to do so.

With metta,
Reflection
May you practice the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma!
:anjali: :anjali: :anjali:
remember, just because somewhere feels right doesn't mean it is right :)
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
befriend

Post by befriend »

good luck :)
puja
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
reflection

Post by reflection »

Thanks everybody! :smile:
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

I'll join you on that journey next year :)

will travel to Ratanagiri and then probably further on if everything goes well. Just have to become debtfree and stuff over here.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
reflection

Post by reflection »

Hi Sokehi,

That's great!
I will probably visit Ratanagiri too.

Maybe I'll see you there or somewhere else one day.

With metta!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings reflection,

Congratulations on your meritorious plans!

If you get the opportunity, I'd recommend speaking to some experienced monks that you respect who would be happy to share their recommendations on what you might be well served to look for in a potential residency. This is particularly important in light of the tradition of nissaya. See page 32 and onwards in Thanissaro Bhikkhu's "Buddhist Monastic Code - Part 1" for more details of this important introduction to the monastic life.

For what it's worth, rather than intending to ease away from Dhamma Wheel, you do have the option of utilising this community as a sounding board for your thoughts and plans. Reading what you're thinking, and what you're intending, people have the opportunity to say something to you which might be immensely valuable, or even life changing. If you opt to close down such channels, you close down that opportunity - however, do not feel obliged to, as it's perfectly OK to keep things personal too. Either way, you have options...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
reflection

Post by reflection »

Thank you! I will look into that.

Yes, I will use Dhammawheel still in the coming period, but I meant that I will mainly shy away from all discussion a bit. But I may still use it to keep in touch and ask about monasteries and ordinations and the like, that I find very useful. And perhaps it can be inspiring to others as well.

Metta,
Reflection
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Very meritious plans indeed. I hope you do well :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Putting of the merits of the tradition aside for the moment, my perception is that the Thai Forest traditions have a better infrastructure for the long term support of western monastics. I observe that western monks who leave the Burmese monasteries (either Mahasi or Pa auk) tend to wander on their own through various monasteries and have difficulty in "finding a home" or supportive community. This may add greater weight to thoughts of disrobing. Non-Burmese Asians who trained in the Pa-Auk traditions are beginning to form a loose affiliation of monasteries in Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Taiwan but these may not be acessible to westerners because of language and visa issues. Do others share this perception?