Anyone from Manchester UK?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Lombardi4

Anyone from Manchester UK?

Post by Lombardi4 »

I plan to visit Manchester UK from 28 September to 1/2 October to watch a football match (Manchester United - Tottenham Hotspur on 29 Sept.).

From those who live in Manchester, I would really appreciate some advice. What hotel would you recommend that I stay at (I guess closer to the airport would be best)? What places/attractions are must-to-visit? And most importantly, any Theravada temples/centres you would recommend that I see?

Thanks a lot!! :smile:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Anyone from Manchester UK?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Stephen K wrote:And most importantly, any Theravada temples/centres you would recommend that I see?
The Saraniya Dhamma Meditation Centre is probably worth a visit.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Stefan,

You might also want to check out Lonely Planet for places to stay.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Hello, I live in Manchester. If you hold on until this evening my wife said she'd advise you about hotels. What's your budget?
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Bhante, thank you for the link to the centre. I'll be sure to pay it a visit.

Ben, thanks for the link to the lonelyplanet site -- it has all the information I need on hotels, flights and sightseeing!

Mawkish, thank you in advance for your wife's advice on hotels. I asked my mother (she's paying for the whole trip) about the budget and she said "40-50 euros per night".

Thanks! :smile:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Stephen K wrote:40-50 euros per night
Steph said that, for that budget, your best bet is to try to book early in a Premier Inn or Travelodge. Steph recommends you look nearer to Old Trafford because the hotel prices near the airport are inflated. She said that 'bed and breakfasts' may be cheaper, but are highly unsanitary. She recommends 'laterooms.com' for cheap prices or go direct to the Premier Inn or Travelodge websites. She says you should book as early as possible.

I don't know how useful this is.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Stephen K wrote:40-50 euros per night
Steph said that, for that budget, your best bet is to try to book early in a Premier Inn or Travelodge. Steph recommends you look nearer to Old Trafford because the hotel prices near the airport are inflated. She said that 'bed and breakfasts' may be cheaper, but are highly unsanitary. She recommends 'laterooms.com' for cheap prices or go direct to the Premier Inn or Travelodge websites. She says you should book as early as possible.

I don't know how useful this is.
Thank you, it is very useful! We were already looking into Premier Inn, and now that you too have recommended it - Premier Inn it is! Say thanks to your wife for all the advice.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Just booked my flight tickets and hotel reservations! Will be flying on 28 September and back on 2 October. Will be staying at Premier Inn near Manchester Airport. It will be my first visit to the UK, having only been to Italy before (other than Bulgaria and Greece).