Three Unwholesome Roots--WHAT?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Son

Three Unwholesome Roots--WHAT?

Postby Son » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:40 am

Okay, these three terms are generally translated as "greed," "hatred," and, "delusion."

Sometimes greed is taken to mean craving, then ill-will, and furthermore ignorance in place of delusion. Ignorance is part of the chain of origination. So is craving. Some sources dictate that the translated roots "greed" and "delusion" are actually synonymous with the "craving" link of the chain, the "attachment" link of the chain, or the "ignorance" link of the chain and so forth. All these words seem so jumbled up to me.

I've always assumed the correct roots to be greed, hatred, and delusion. Now, happening upon these misgivings about translation and examination, once again, I've come to a confusing impasse. What is the contextual translation of greed, hatred, and delusion according to the text? And, do these terms correspond to terms in the chain (ergo, ignorance, craving, and attachment/clinging), do they not, or do some of them? I would really be thankful for some clarification on this, because I can't find any. I have a thorough understanding of dependent origination and the aggregates, as well as the elements and so forth. But I'm confused how terminologically the three unwholesome roots should be translated with respect to these words.

ignorance gives rise to volitional formations,
consciousness,
name and form,
sense bases,
contact,
sensation (+perception),
craving,
clinging,
birth,
suffering and dukkha.
Last edited by Son on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
A seed sleeps in soil.
It's cold and alone, hopeless.
Until it blooms above.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Three Unwholesome Roots--WHAT?

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 am

Greetings Son,

I think it's best to avoid assuming that because a mindstate is applicable to one of the twelve nidanas, that it therefore doesn't apply to another. They are not mutually exclusive in this regard.

The treatment of dependent origination in Classical Theravada is complex, so I won't comment beyond that for now.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Son

Postby Son » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:25 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
It's cold and alone, hopeless.
Until it blooms above.

Alobha

Postby Alobha » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:14 am

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 pm