Looking for ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
reflection
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Looking for ordination

Postby reflection » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Dear friends,

In the coming year I will look for a place to ordain. Chances are I'll stick somewhere and be an anagarika and perhaps on to full ordination. I'm not quite sure where yet, but I'll travel round a bit to find the right place and teacher. This will probably be somewhere in the Thai Forest tradition, or perhaps Pa Auk's place or something like that, somewhere with an emphasis on samadhi.

I say this here because in the process I will already start to lessen my activity on this forum untill it comes to a full stop. This seems best for me, at least in the first years of training. Also I wanted to use this opportunity to say thanks for all I've learned here to everybody.

If anyone went through the same process and has some tips to share on whatever subject, feel free to do so.

:anjali:
With metta,
Reflection

David2

Re: Looking for ordination

Postby David2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Good luck to you with your wholesome intentions. :anjali:

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:55 pm

If you're willing to travel out of the country, you should check out http://nauyana.org/

I've heard wonderful things about it. Good luck Dhamma friend.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Good luck and hope you find a suitable place. Have you taken care of any final household issues and requirements, such as debts, etc?

reflection

Postby reflection » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Thank you everybody!

I will start to finish some household things already, like giving up my appartment, but I won't cut all ties until I'm 100% sure.
I also need to work a bit to afford the travelling, but that should all be possible within the next year, I hope.

Thanks Yoghurt, I will check out the possibilities to visit Sri Lanka a bit more. I've heard most of my countryfolks (what's the word again? Other Dutch people) who ordain in Therevadin tradition, are ordaining there.

But I must say I have not yet done a lot of research in the Pa Auk tradition. For now I'd preferably ordain with Ajahn Brahmavamso, but his monastery is full and there is a waiting list, or so I understood.

So I'll see. Thanks again.

Lotsa metta,
Reflection

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:39 pm

reflection wrote:But I must say I have not yet done a lot of research in the Pa Auk tradition. For now I'd preferably ordain with Ajahn Brahmavamso, but his monastery is full and there is a waiting list, or so I understood.

Well, if you are interested in his style, here's a link to a concise overview of the method taught: http://www.paaukforestmonastery.org/boo ... aining.pdf. Maybe that'll help you know if it's for you.

(Just because you mentioned him in the OP, not trying to proselytize!)

Either way, good luck with your search! Make sure to check out some other TFT monasteries in the UK/Europe, it's surprising how many there are.

Wish you the best.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.

Cittasanto
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:47 pm

reflection wrote:Dear friends,

In the coming year I will look for a place to ordain. Chances are I'll stick somewhere and be an anagarika and perhaps on to full ordination. I'm not quite sure where yet, but I'll travel round a bit to find the right place and teacher. This will probably be somewhere in the Thai Forest tradition, or perhaps Pa Auk's place or something like that, somewhere with an emphasis on samadhi.

I say this here because in the process I will already start to lessen my activity on this forum untill it comes to a full stop. This seems best for me, at least in the first years of training. Also I wanted to use this opportunity to say thanks for all I've learned here to everybody.

If anyone went through the same process and has some tips to share on whatever subject, feel free to do so.

With metta,
Reflection

May you practice the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma!
:anjali: :anjali: :anjali:
remember, just because somewhere feels right doesn't mean it is right :)
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

befriend

Postby befriend » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:39 pm

good luck :)
puja

reflection

Postby reflection » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks everybody! :smile:

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:50 pm

I'll join you on that journey next year :)

will travel to Ratanagiri and then probably further on if everything goes well. Just have to become debtfree and stuff over here.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr

reflection

Postby reflection » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi Sokehi,

That's great!
I will probably visit Ratanagiri too.

Maybe I'll see you there or somewhere else one day.

With metta!

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:02 am

Greetings reflection,

Congratulations on your meritorious plans!

If you get the opportunity, I'd recommend speaking to some experienced monks that you respect who would be happy to share their recommendations on what you might be well served to look for in a potential residency. This is particularly important in light of the tradition of nissaya. See page 32 and onwards in Thanissaro Bhikkhu's "Buddhist Monastic Code - Part 1" for more details of this important introduction to the monastic life.

For what it's worth, rather than intending to ease away from Dhamma Wheel, you do have the option of utilising this community as a sounding board for your thoughts and plans. Reading what you're thinking, and what you're intending, people have the opportunity to say something to you which might be immensely valuable, or even life changing. If you opt to close down such channels, you close down that opportunity - however, do not feel obliged to, as it's perfectly OK to keep things personal too. Either way, you have options...

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

reflection

Postby reflection » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:17 am

Thank you! I will look into that.

Yes, I will use Dhammawheel still in the coming period, but I meant that I will mainly shy away from all discussion a bit. But I may still use it to keep in touch and ask about monasteries and ordinations and the like, that I find very useful. And perhaps it can be inspiring to others as well.

Metta,
Reflection

Ytrog
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby Ytrog » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Very meritious plans indeed. I hope you do well :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:19 am

Putting of the merits of the tradition aside for the moment, my perception is that the Thai Forest traditions have a better infrastructure for the long term support of western monastics. I observe that western monks who leave the Burmese monasteries (either Mahasi or Pa auk) tend to wander on their own through various monasteries and have difficulty in "finding a home" or supportive community. This may add greater weight to thoughts of disrobing. Non-Burmese Asians who trained in the Pa-Auk traditions are beginning to form a loose affiliation of monasteries in Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Taiwan but these may not be acessible to westerners because of language and visa issues. Do others share this perception?

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:12 am

pilgrim wrote:Putting of the merits of the tradition aside for the moment, my perception is that the Thai Forest traditions have a better infrastructure for the long term support of western monastics. I observe that western monks who leave the Burmese monasteries (either Mahasi or Pa auk) tend to wander on their own through various monasteries and have difficulty in "finding a home" or supportive community. This may add greater weight to thoughts of disrobing. Non-Burmese Asians who trained in the Pa-Auk traditions are beginning to form a loose affiliation of monasteries in Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Taiwan but these may not be acessible to westerners because of language and visa issues. Do others share this perception?

Indeed, I have the same feeling about it.

But disrobing ... I think it might be different for every "disrober", what brought or forced him to this conclusion. But I guess generally speaking it might be easier for the interested practitioner and his family if one ordains as close as possible to them. The can meet him, see his practice and maybe/eventually gain more benefit out of this close contact. It's good to show ones own family some dhamma, and I think it's good to not go to far away from them. This in return can be supportive for the ordained as well. But just gueswork out of my own experiences.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 am

Sokehi wrote:
Indeed, I have the same feeling about it.

But disrobing ... I think it might be different for every "disrober", what brought or forced him to this conclusion. But I guess generally speaking it might be easier for the interested practitioner and his family if one ordains as close as possible to them. The can meet him, see his practice and maybe/eventually gain more benefit out of this close contact. It's good to show ones own family some dhamma, and I think it's good to not go to far away from them. This in return can be supportive for the ordained as well. But just gueswork out of my own experiences.

That is exactly why I would recommend the UK instead of Asia if you want to follow the Thai Forest Tradition and are from Europe.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:08 am

Sokehi wrote:But I guess generally speaking it might be easier for the interested practitioner and his family if one ordains as close as possible to them. The can meet him, see his practice and maybe/eventually gain more benefit out of this close contact. It's good to show ones own family some dhamma, and I think it's good to not go to far away from them. This in return can be supportive for the ordained as well. But just gueswork out of my own experiences.

I think for a junior monk being close to home would be more a source of distraction and restlessness. Once you've been a monk a few years I'd think you'd be better equipped to share the dhamma with family and friends, that would be a better time to be closer to home.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah

reflection

Postby reflection » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I think one should ordain with a teacher they can learn from, be inspired by and can agree with the dhamma they teach. If that teacher happens to be far away, so beit. Also, I want to find a teacher who I think is as close to enlightenment as possible. If (s)he's far away, well, than I'll go to there anyway.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Greetings Reflection,

As for near or far, there's many factors involved.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Return to “Ordination and Monastic Life”